Windows XP SP2 Update on S5000J and S3010CL

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Ken Wampach, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Ken Wampach

    Ken Wampach Guest

    I finally installed Windows XP SP2 on my Compaq Presario S5000J
    and S3010CL Desktop machines. They are both 2003 vintage
    machines with Athlon processors that came with Windows XP Home
    SP1 installed. The Blue star down in Systray with the October
    threat of no more updates gave me little choice.

    Both machines are now running SP2 and seem to be working fine,
    but I thought I would share a few things about my experience
    with others who have held off.

    During the install on the S5000J, I made a made a decision,
    which I feel fortunate did not result in disaster. I did the
    install from a Windows Update CD, I ordered from Microsoft.
    After about 30 minutes, the progress bar was at about 75% and
    the Update reported "Performing Cleanup". Well over an hour
    later, the status had not changed and the progress bar had not
    moved. Having read a report on the internet of the install
    hanging at that point, I assumed that my install had hung and
    did a restart. I was very fortunate, that the shutdown was
    sufficiently orderly to allow for a successful reboot. The
    reboot took about 10 minutes, as the SP2 setup took place.
    Happily, I had an operational machine. I considered trying to do
    a restore, but found that the restore point I had created had
    been overwritten. When I looked at the Svcpack.log file and the
    time stamps on a lot of new uninstall files, I found out what
    had happened. During the "Performing Cleanup" phase Hotfixes
    were being "Migrated". I had waited so long to install SP2, that
    there were about 50 Hotfixes which had accumulated and that
    needed to be processed. Based on the time stamps on the
    uninstall files, it was taking about 1 to 3 minutes for each.
    When I reviewed the available restore points, I realized that
    the Update package was creating a Restore Point for each Hotfix.
    Since it had processed about 30 of them, and I have room for
    less than 10 Restore Points, that explained why I could no
    longer access the one I created before I began the SP2 install.

    With no easy way to turn back, I went to Windows update. It
    found a new batch of updates, which installed with no problems.
    All of the Hotfixes that had not been "Migrated" were
    successfully installed except for a few which had been installed
    prior to the SP2 install. At this point in time the machine is
    current and everything seems to be fine.

    I decided to do the S3010CL from the Windows Update website. I
    thought that it might handle the restore Points differently. It
    took about 25 minutes to download the update on my cable modem
    connection. Again, it took about 30 minutes to reach the
    "Performing Cleanup" phase with the progress bar at 75%. This
    time I waited. An hour of cleanup showed no change, but when I
    checked the machine after an hour and 15 minutes of cleanup, I
    got the "Updating Complete" message. The machine took about 10
    minutes to reboot. I then went to the Windows Update website to
    get the additional Hotfixes that the machine now needed.
    Everything was fine on this machine also. FYI, each Hotfix
    during the cleanup had again generated a Restore Point, so my
    Restore Point was long gone.

    I thought I would share my experience, in case anyone else has
    put off SP2 this long. My key message is to be patient. I never
    should have assumed that the update was hung. There was plenty
    of disk activity going on. I feel very lucky.

    Prior to starting the SP2 update, I had installed all the other
    High Priority and Hardware updates from the Windows Update
    website. I don't know how many of the hardware updates were
    critical, but I suspect that the amdk7.sys may well be. The new
    file version is 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). Seeing
    SP2 in the file version makes me think it was critical. The old
    driver was dated 7/1/2002 and the new one was dated 12/17/2002.

    I had also visited the HP/Compaq page for "Important Information
    from HP About Windows XP Service Pack 2". I did do CheckDisks
    and Defrags prior to the update and made sure I had enough free
    space.

    Since you probably won't be able to use System restore to go
    back, I would strongly recommended you create a backup which can
    restore your hard drive to the state it was in prior to the
    update, if you have the resources. FYI: I didn't, which was very
    scary. The idea of having to reinstall my software from the
    Recovery partition or disks and then reinstalling and updating
    all of my software and reinstall the user files from my backups
    was something I would not have enjoyed. I think I may invest in
    some disk cloning and/or backup software and hardware.

    Ken Wampach, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Ken Wampach

    due23

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the information

    Hi Ken. One of my customers had not updated an XP system to service pack 2. I updated the system from CD and got into the situation you describe waiting for the clean up to finish. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post the info, it saved me lots of time!
    All the best,
    Alan Duerden

    due23, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Ken Wampach

    fabioq

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ken:

    I'd also like to add how valuable your post was to me as well. I had a similar issue with a client's computer and I was close to restarting the PC after the long wait. Luckily I saw your post and waited another 1/2 hour longer and eventually completed the SP installation. I wasn't even a member of this board but I had to register JUST so I can post this note to you.

    Thanks! :)

    Fabio

    fabioq, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Ken Wampach

    philapcrepair.com

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi there,
    same problem as described above. I happened to install sp2 for a customer now, in 2008! With all the hotfixes installed it took a loooooong time. If i didn't read your post here, chances are, I would restart the computer after about an hour. Or at least I'd be quite uneasy.

    Thanks

    philapcrepair.com, Apr 9, 2008
  5. Ken Wampach

    Lori

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Incredibly I'm stuck at this stage on an SP2 update right now. I'm using an old machine of mine that I recently started to rescue and although I'd long since decided not to update to SP2, it has a fix that I need to stop the backlight from dying repeatedly, so thought I might as well.

    Thanks for your post, even if it was years go, as it seems that it's going to save me making a huge mistake.

    Lori, Jun 27, 2010