Windows XP - SP2?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Louise, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Louise

    Louise Guest

    Win XP, sp1 and Office XP.

    I've avoided installing SP2 because I've been so happy with the way my
    system is functioning that I have steered clear. I also use Outlook and
    am still able to receive attachments and I don't want to mess that up.

    I run NAV and Sygate firewall plus an NAT router. And I never open
    attachments without scanning them first. I generally use Firefox as my
    browser, but occasinally use IE

    I'm becoming nervous about security vulnerabilities even with all my
    precautions because I've not installed SP2.

    Has everyone but me installed SP2? Has it created problems? Can it be
    removed?

    TIA

    Louise

    Louise, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Louise

    fred Guest

    By all means do SP2. Lose the Sygate and use SP2's firewall. Enable
    Automatic Updates and use a good spyware checker.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Louise

    Ted Guest

    my M60 is still XP Pro SP1 and running fine interneting and all (Norton IS
    Firewall is installed)...........it hates SP2 as I've tried loading it twice
    always with problems. I'll install SP2 when I do a full reinstall sometime
    in the future.

    Ted, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    Ack, SP2's firewall sucks. I'd stick with Sygate or Kerio.

    Tom Scales, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Louise

    Pen Guest

    I've got 3 machines running sp2 with never a problem.
    I think you should do it. The firewall is fine, but it
    only works on incoming. So stay with sygate if you like it.

    Pen, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Louise;
    You probably should install SP-2.
    SP-2 will not prevent you from receiving attachments.
    If you do lose access to attachments, it is an easy setting in
    Tools/Options/Security to regain access.

    You are less likely to have problems associated with SP-2 on a well
    maintained computer.
    If necessary, SP-2 can be uninstalled through Add/Remove Programs.

    Also see:

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Louise

    fred Guest

    SP2's firewall is just fine and free and automatically supported and
    automatically updated. The fewer unnecessary 3rd party OS support apps in a
    system the better.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Louise

    fred Guest

    That represent 99% of the user experience.
    Incoming is all that's needed for good security. Outgoing is for paranoid
    techies and not the average user.
    Unneeded 3rd party OS support apps should be avoided.

    fred, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    It only works inward, not properly outward. It's not very good.

    Tom Scales, Jun 11, 2005
  10. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    Incoming is all that's needed for good security. Outgoing is for paranoid
    Oh please. An infected machine phoning home is more likely a problem of an
    average user than a techie. You're wrong.

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005
  11. Louise

    fred Guest

    Get a clue. Outward is for paranoid techies and unneeded for good security.
    Hmmm you don't suppose MS's firewall designers knew that do ya?

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Louise

    fred Guest

    WOW, haven't found yours yet I see. An infected machine phoning home
    doesn't come to pass when a good incoming firewall, virus and spyware
    checkers are in place. As I said outgoing firewall checking is for paranoid
    techies and not the average user who wont take the time to configure it
    properly anyway. Have you really ever dealt with these issues in the real
    world.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  13. Louise

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    By all means, do not use windows firewall. It is a bandaid only, and does
    not mask all ports. While it may be (arguably) better than no firewall, it
    is not much better than no firewall at all. Stick with Sygate. With a NAT
    Router and NAV, you will have very good protection. I would recommend going
    to www.grc.com and running the ShieldsUp! link there...it will check your
    ports. Quite often routers leave port 113 visible, so you would have to set
    your router up to forward that port.

    And to answer you original question, I would very highly recommend
    installation of SP2.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 12, 2005
  14. Louise

    fred Guest

    You're mistaken. Cite a reference.
    Got that one right.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  15. Louise

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    So now we see the true level of expertise that "fred" has to offer. This
    single quote from him should earn him the disrespect he deserves. Anyone
    who believes that inbound protection is sufficient should not be allowed to
    give advice about computer security. If he were more of a nuisance, he
    would be a danger.

    For the benefit of those who are reading this post...outbound monitoring is
    as important as inbound monitoring. There is a significant amount of
    malware out there will do all kinds of things on your computer that you
    would never know about without a good program that will alert you when a
    program or a process tries to access the Internet.

    Fred seems to think he knows a lot, yet has been giving quite a bit of
    inaccurate advice lately.

    Please take anything this man posts with a grain of slat, and be sure to
    read the follow on posts to get a better and more accurate view.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 12, 2005
  16. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hmm, 24 years IT experience
    CIO (and COO) of a billion dollar company

    Nah, never have.

    You're as bad as the people that claim Macs can't get infected. You're
    giving bad advice to novices. You CAN get infected with the XP firewall.

    You think a novice is never going to use a floppy? A burned CD? A burned
    DVD? A USB key?

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005
  17. Louise

    fred Guest

    Why don't you address your weirdo trash to the designers of MS's firewall
    who adroitly recognized that outgoing is unneeded for the ordinary user with
    a good virus and spyware checker.
    And such spyware/malware doesn't exist on a PC with a good virus and spyware
    checkers. The usual incompetent NG trolls with broken killfiles such be
    ignored.
    The astute NG reader who does good research will be able to see where good
    advice comes from. Cream rises just like the truth.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  18. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    Ah, yes, we should trust MS with our security. They've NEVER released
    anything with security holes.

    Best laug I've had all night.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005
  19. Louise

    fred Guest

    They always expose themselves.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005
  20. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    You like to expose yourself? I think you're in the wrong newsgroup.

    Tom Scales, Jun 12, 2005