    shouldn't have to worry. Best thing is to stay away from attachments
    from people you don't know.

    Bob

    Capt Bob, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Louise

    fred Guest

    Nonsense. Cite a reference.
    The only risk is not staying current.

    fred, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Bob;
    "Microsoft claims that about 15% of people installing SP2 will have issues
    with it."
    "issues" is ANYTHING from the smallest undesired change such as the change
    in color on the boot screen to major problems.
    Do not make the mistake that "issues" means major problems...very rare.
    Most of those are simple settings adjustments such as disabling the Windows
    Firewall when it is not needed.
    Other issues are easily fixed by software or hardware updates from the
    manufacturer.
    Most of those would not have even been issues if the owner had researched
    those items.

    Other issues are caused by computers already damaged with spyware and other
    problems, known or unknown.
    Preparation, research and a well maintained computer is less likely to have
    any problems.

    What do other flight simmers do?
    I see few problems with SP-2 in the sim newsgroups I watch.

    If you choose not to install SP-2, be sure it is for the correct reason.

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Louise

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Comments:

    1) Once again, you've managed to simplify a complicated issue into a
    meaningless and useless comment.......

    2) This thread is in my "Ignore" list

    3) PLONK!

    Hank Arnold, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Louise

    Rob Guest

    From what I 've read you're not alone. Most large companies (75% of
    them surveyed) did NOT upgrade to sp2, just stayed at sp1. I upgraded
    to SP2 at home and it caused no less problems for me than SP1. I'm no
    security expert and altho you can read about the differences of the
    two versions on Microsoft's web site, I really don't think you will
    notice any difference in security. I think good habits, using good
    software (aside from your OS) will do more to protect you than the
    version of OS you use. The only thing I might do different than what
    you are doing is to avoid Outlook for my email and use a 3rd party
    email software because it seems most viri target MS products.
    Personally I don't like Norton products (in my past experience, they
    use too much resources and at times caused my system to crash) but if
    it works for you and you are happy, leave it alone.

    Further, I wouldn't worry whether you use SP1 or 2 because I find
    Microsoft vulnerable regardless and would hardly count on them for
    security. As I said earlier, count on your good habits and other
    software to protect you. Should you decide to go to SP2, make sure
    your existing software (version number as well) will behave well under
    SP2. Considering the time and difference in security (if any for SP1
    to 2) and incompatibilities possible on your system, I might just stay
    with SP1 since it works fine on your system with your existing
    software.

    Rob, Jun 12, 2005
  6. IMHO, you should do a good backup, perform all applicable Windows
    Updates except SP2, plus BIOS and driver updates from device
    manufacturers and/or Dell applicable to your machine (see the other
    thread), ensure you are virus and spyware free, do another backup, and
    then apply SP2. [And then, of course, apply all the Windows Updates
    for SP2, rinse, lather, repeat.]

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Louise

    Capt Bob Guest

    Issues are having a frame rate in the mid 20's or more , with no
    jerkiness in the graphics suddenly switch to more of a slide show
    presentation, with the Flight Simulator. If your firewall and
    antivirus are so in effectual that you need SP2 to protect you, it is
    time to seek out a new Antivirus and firewall program

    Many flight simmers ( remember the 15% ), have had to resort to
    sometimes having to reinstall the Microsoft Flight Sim program ,
    which if you have alot off add-ons like I do, is a nightmare, in order
    to get everything back to square one. If you are the lucky type and
    don't mind a gamble, go for SP2.........

    Bob
    Bob

    Capt Bob, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Bob;
    No gamble at all for me, my computers and FS 2004.
    But I keep my computer clean and verify many things just before installing
    Service Packs.

    If you think SP-2 is about anti virus and firewall, you are very mistaken.
    There is no anti virus protection at all in SP-2.
    There are also a lot more than firewall updates:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113
    Additionally as time goes on, more and more will require installation of
    SP-2.
    If you ever need to perform a Clean Installation, that is a good time to
    install SP-2 via a Windows XP CD with SP-2 slipstreamed.

    I have known of several SP-2 installation issues related to various versions
    of FS to work correctly after a Clean Installation.
    This indicates a pre-existing problem.

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Louise

    Ben Myers Guest

    "You're mistaken. Cite a reference." Okay. Brain Livingston, Editor and
    Publisher of the excellent Windows Secrets newsletter (ex-columnist for
    InfoWorld), recommends just about any firewall other than Microsoft's band-aid
    incoming-only firewall distributed with SP2. His preference (and mine) is Zone
    Alarm, but there are others which work well. I suppose I could dig out other
    references from other largely independent publications like NYT, WSJ, PC World,
    and PC Magazine. But the industy at large, except Microsoft, is almost
    unanimous that a non-Microsoft firewall is better. Microsoft seems to be in
    denial of the reality. You seem to be too. Are you a Microsoft troll, a
    Microsoft shill, or a Microsoft employee hired to spread disinformation in free
    and open newsgroups?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 13, 2005
  10. Louise

    fred Guest

    There's is NO 15%.
    FUD!

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  11. Louise

    fred Guest

    VERY RARE. MS never claimed 15% in any case.
    Right, there's always folks passin around FUD.

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  12. Louise

    fred Guest

    Overkill but good advice.

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  13. Louise

    fred Guest

    Too complicated for the average user. The first thing they'll end up doin
    is disabling automatic virus signature updates. Do you have any real world
    experience. How many of you zealots derive income from selling 3rd party
    firewalls?
    NONSENSE!

    Microsoft seems to be in
    None of the above but I'm someone who actually has real world experience in
    these matters.

    Can anyone cite a case with references where a PC protected with MS's SP2
    firewall, along with a good & current virus+spyware checker has been
    penetrated/infected due to a weakness in SP2's firewall? I don't think so.

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  14. Louise

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    At least "fred" now admits that he is passing around FUD.

    I think we may coin a new acronym...FFUD "freds" FUD!
    It is special FUD as can only be created in the miniscule mind of "fred"

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 13, 2005
  15. Louise

    Capt Bob Guest

    Fred,

    after reading several of your ridiculous posts on this newsgroup I
    have decided to add you to my kill filter so ...Ploink...Plonk.....
    whatever, your are gone.... :)

    Bob

    Capt Bob, Jun 13, 2005
  16. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interesting that you never replied how the firewall protects from Floppies,
    CDs and USB Keys. Viruses propigate daily -- faster than updates. All it
    takes is one Trojon on one floppy.

    Then you'll understand.

    Hmm, maybe you won't. You have shown much in the way of smarts.

    Tom Scales, Jun 13, 2005
  17. Louise

    fred Guest

    Clueless, "a good virus checker" is what I said and they DO protect from
    floppies but floppy propagation is archaic...EMAIL idiot and a good current
    virus checker protects against email born virus also.
    The regulars here are systematically un-informed.

    fred, Jun 13, 2005
  18. Louise

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The only one uninformed here is you. Trouble is, you are just too stupid to
    know it.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 13, 2005
  19. Louise

    Tom Scales Guest

    You think virus updates are magic? New viruses never come out?

    You don't use a USB key. Do you even know what one is?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 13, 2005
  20. Louise

    fred Guest