    Does anyone at Microsoft care to comment on what's in store for Version 2 of
    the OS and SDK?

    [1] http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2003.asp

    Mark A. Richman, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Mark A. Richman

    Marauderz Guest

    I think what I'm most interested in is..
    DO WE EXISTING USERS GET THE UPDATES???

    Marauderz, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Mark A. Richman

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Aug 20, 2003
  4. Mark A. Richman

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Aug 20, 2003
  5. No Version 2? What? So what will this "V2" be called? Service Pack?

    If nothing at all, then I GUESS someone better take that up with like
    Microsoft Senior Vice President of the Windows Client Division,
    William Poole, and Group Vice President Jim Allchin.

    And I wouldn't be so snarpy about Paul, there were indeed people
    within MS at at that that didn't want ME and were saying such. You
    can't fault Paul for Microsoft wishy washy waffling and all the
    resulting turf wars and pull-backs and such. And considering ME's
    reputation as the disaster it eventually became, that might notta been
    such a bad idea. :)

    Chris

    Christopher Coulter, Aug 20, 2003
  6. No one was talking about a whole "separate Tablet PC operating
    system", just a Ver 2, enhancements, shape reco in Journal...etc. What
    MS has been saying all along.

    Chris

    Christopher Coulter, Aug 20, 2003
  7. What about SDK updates? The only "new" thing we've gotten was PIP in 1.5.

    - Mark

    Mark A. Richman, Aug 20, 2003
  8. Mark A. Richman

    terri Guest

    I believe there to be some misunderstandings. V2 started getting publicity
    after it was incorrectly referred to at WinHEC. It gained momentum and
    people started talking about it.

    Simply put, there is no Tablet PC v2 to be released this year. That
    includes service packs, etc. as Service Packs will be released in line with
    those for XP.

    terri, Aug 20, 2003
  9. Misunderstandings? Yes. But they came from Microsoft itself. "Typos"
    on websites, wrong info from Execs, wrong slides at WinHEC. With a PR
    firm that says two things at once. And about this incorrectly referred
    info at WinHEC? That would have been FROM a VP. And well, there was a
    good deal MORE after WinHEC, namely a Group VP saying there would be
    such, and a slew of Execs talking. But I digress. Microsoft simply
    cannot get its story straight from the Exec side to the Team side.
    Pullbacks, unofficial leaks to analysts that they then say wasn't us.
    Whatever. Just they should get the story straight. Roadmaps are what
    corporates live and die by. Not so much an issue per Longhorn, as far
    off, but SP2 and Tablet PC 2...if they don't have a reliable roadmap,
    don't talk about it, confusion only muddies the water.

    End Prog. Just don't listen to Microsoft always, you might get some
    "incorrectly referred to" information that creates
    "misunderstandings". Enough tho. I have said my piece. It will all
    come out in the wash.

    Christopher Coulter, Aug 21, 2003
  10. Hi all,

    I'm not in Tablet PC team and I have no idea what they've announced anything
    about V.2, Longhorn, etc (or whatever their codename, release name,
    schedule, etc). And as long as it is not official announce, any of our MVP
    would not be able to tell you much on those or confirm any press (as they
    can't be sure if it official from MS or not), and that is how it is for all
    of our yet to be release products.

    As state above, I am not directly involved with Tablet PC team, except that
    I am using Tablet PC and self-hosting our alpha & beta software/OS, I can
    assure you that Microsoft is committed to Tablet PC form factor as we
    continue working very hard to improve Tablet PC OS and other form factor.
    Please stay tune for more official announcement (PDC isn't long to come, I'm
    sure we all can wait and see, as I wanted to know as well) on service
    release, next release, major release, etc for Tablet PC.

    Kind Regards,
    ---
    //worapon pitayaphongpat
    MUI/LIP CORE team; Windows International Team
    Microsoft Corporation
    Disclaimer : This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
    confers no rights.

    Worapon Pitayaphongpat [MS], Aug 21, 2003