Windows XP Tablet Shutdown screen

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by RichT, Feb 28, 2010.

  1. RichT

    RichT Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Dell XT Tablet with XP Tablet PC SP3, and a Dell desktop with
    normal XP SP3.

    When I shut down "normal XP" on my desktop, I get a shutdown screen with
    three big buttons - "Stand By, Turn Off, Restart"

    When I shudown my Dell XT with XP Tablet, I get a dialogue box with the
    question "What do you want the computer to do" with the options in a fiddly
    drop down list of "Log Off, Shutdown, Restart, Stand by. Hibernate".

    Rather strangely, fo a few days my XT reverted to the "normal" XP shutdown
    screen - which I greatly prefer. It then reverted to the fiddly drop down
    list shutdown.

    I presume I must have changed some settings somewhere in the computer, then
    chnaged them back, not realising that it made this change. Does anybody know
    how this is controlled?

    RichT, Feb 28, 2010

  2. This is "classic" shutdown dialog as used under NT.
    It's tied to the settings for the log-on.

    You call it "fiddly". This mode has a very important advantage for
    TabletPC usage:
    Due to a design flaw the "XP Style Shutdown Dialog Box" only has 3
    buttons whereas 4 would be necessary. Therefore the option of
    "hibernation" - the most important one if all for mobile computers is
    not shown.
    The option can be called by pressing the "h" key or the Shift key. Both
    are not available if the TabletPC is run in "slate" mode.
    Therefore it's my advice for TabletPC-users not to set the system to the
    new "XP Style Shutdown Dialog Box" so that the selection if hibernation
    can be made in the dropdown listbox of the "classic" shutdown dialog.
    Yes, obviously you changed the settings in the applet for the User
    Account.
    On how to set it back pls see here:
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-...og-off-and-shutdown-dialog-box-in-windows-xp/

    HTH
    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Feb 28, 2010

  3. Thanks for the link... appreciated.

    I have been experimenting with speech input on my tablet, but, wanting
    to verify a shutdown tip from the past, found that turning on speech
    input has removed the input pad keyboard. Unchecking "speech" does not
    help)

    Any ideas on how to get the input panel keyboard back?

    ....related... if memory serves, the input panel keyboard <shift> is
    sticky, so I think it's possible to tap <shift> then issue a shutdown
    and have the hibernation option.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Mar 2, 2010
  4. I'm sorry, I have no idea.
    Never came across this issue.
    Thanks for this suggestion.
    Will try it out.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Mar 3, 2010
  5. Beverly Howard, Mar 4, 2010
  6. Beverly Howard, Mar 4, 2010

  7. Mine is usually hidden over on the left.
    Perhaps you should have a shortcut for osk always at hand? JIC? <eg>

    I actually have an external tool button on the face of the slate which I
    have been imagining could be put to better use than an HP tutorial.

    BTW I'm using my tablet as a dark slate with attached monitor and wireless
    mouse and keyboard so I can't check on any other ideas ATM. ; )

    I pressed it anyway. In fact it opens the Windows Mobility Center.
    Unfortunately there is nothing about the TIP there but there is a Help
    button on it at the bottom. That takes me directly to the Help article for
    Using Windows Mobility Center. Now your trick will be figuring out how to
    get to the help page for the TIP. It seems necessary to be able to type
    Input first... Then there is an article titled "Solutions to Common
    Problems with Tablet PC Input Panel" and in there there's a link labeled
    "Tap to open Tablet PC Input Panel".

    And here's a method which requires no typing at all (assuming you can get to
    a Help window)
    1. tap the book icon (Browse Help).
    2. tap Using a Tablet PC
    3. tap Tablet PC Input Panel
    4. tap Opening and moving Tablet PC Input Panel
    5. tap Open Input Panel
    6. scroll down to a green arrow labeled...
    7. Tap to Open Tablet PC Input Panel

    Oops. It looks as if that might be some customization done by HP with that
    button. I.e. it appears essential to have started from the Help page for
    the Windows Mobility Center. Otherwise just opening Help with Win-F1 and
    clicking the book icon leads to an entirely different trail which doesn't
    highlight the Tablet PC Input Panel at all...

    Ah. All that is required in that case is to:
    0. tap Laptops
    That puts you into the page for the 7 step path given above.

    Hopefully there is a more direct route or procedure?

    Good luck

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 5, 2010
  8. RichT

    undisclosed Guest

    Hi,
    Stop errors can be caused by just about anything, including poor
    quality audio drivers, incompatible video drivers, bad or corrupt
    hard disks, and faulty hardware such as bad RAM, dying
    motherboards, failing power supplies, etc.Such kind of
    error is of two type hard disk failure or ram failure i think you won't
    repair it by setting up windows xp because appearing blue screen is
    very dangerous problem
    that is.. hard ware problem.

    undisclosed, Mar 8, 2010
  9. RichT

    diane Guest

    I apologize in advance if I didn't understand your question ... To get the
    icon back for the tablet input, right click on your task bar and chose
    Toolbar, then Tablet input panel.

    diane, Mar 11, 2010

  10. OMG. That is certainly "more direct". Thanks. ; )

    Robert
    (New to tablet.)
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 11, 2010
  11. fwiw, reinstalling the .net runtimes recovered the input panel's keyboard.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Mar 11, 2010
  12. Good to hear!

    Rainald