    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Joseph Fenn

    Quaoar Guest

    Joe, do you normally purchase software the is accompanied by a USER
    MANUAL that you do not read?

    Quaoar, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Both of these programs came with no instruction books. I guess
    I'll have to just put em in the cdr drive and see if theres a
    builtin help or doc file I can read.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 15, 2006
  4. What criteria did you use to select those two programs?

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Joseph Fenn

    Kevin Guest

    I haven't seen a printed user manual in years. They are on the installation
    CD.

    Kevin, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    I had never known of "wipe" till a guy told me you need
    to use it to complete clear everything off a NTFS formatted
    type of HD. He said it would take out the partitions if any
    as well. Apparently plain "format" command wont work with
    the NTFS system
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Joseph Fenn

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    I'm not sure about your questions about the specific programs, but this
    should give some general insight:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_wipe

    Joe Makowiec, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Well, he's wrong about format not working, but let's back up a step.
    What are you trying to accomplish? What's on this drive you are
    trying to "wipe", and what will you do with it after it's "wiped"?

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Not really. The full "wipe" actually creamed every thing on the
    C: drive. Even the C: prompt dissappeared. I guess I should have
    used the "Media Wipe" but its too late now. I just wanted to
    take out all the data on C: drive so I could restore from a Ghost
    image on H: drive. But cant get to the C: drive no more even from
    a floppy in A: drive. So guess I got a dead P4 Lenovo to put
    in the closet.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Joseph Fenn

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I think the context is making sure that any info on the hard drive is
    erased. Format doesn't do that (except maybe through some special
    option?), thus the existence of unformatting utiliies.
    The usual reason for wanting to wipe a drive is you want to redeploy
    the drive and make sure that any confidential info on it is gone
    before the new deployment.

    Example: at work a while back, I was asked to prep a laptop with a
    software demo for delivery to a customer (our sales guy was going to
    bring the prepped laptop to the customer site, show them how to run
    the software, then leave the laptop with them for a 1 month
    evaluation). The laptop I got from the IT dept was our CFO's old
    laptop and it still contained a bunch of sensitive financial docs
    including some that had been deleted but were recoverable. Oops.
    That was a drive that needed to be wiped.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 16, 2006
  11. Joseph Fenn

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You need to do an OS reinstall from bootable media.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 16, 2006
  12. Let me guess, the H: drive is another partition on the same physical
    hard disk as C:, and you've just wiped the whole thing.

    If it's separate, you could probably boot from a Ghost floppy and
    restore the image.

    If you want to restore a Ghost image, there's no need to wipe the
    destination drive first, as you'll overwrite it with the Ghost image.

    OTOH, the "Wipe" software you bought without knowing it's function or
    why you bought it sure was effective. 8*}

    I'd offer to help, but I think I'll run screaming instead.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 17, 2006
  13. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    No William !! You guessed wrong. The H dr is a Maxtor 100 gig usb
    and it has GHOST v9 and the original image file on it. My intent
    was to "wipe" the laptop C: drive, then restore original image which
    includes the works, partitions, winxp/pro, and whole 10 yards in it.
    The "wipe" went okay and it cleaned the C: drive and verified it was
    clean, partitions and all. Big problem is it did'nt even leave
    the c: prompt. When I boot up the laptop the only active drive
    visible is the A: drive. If cry to call the C: dr cant get to it at
    all. Hence unable to direct the image from the Maxtor "one touch"
    back to the c: drive. So then I chkd the bios and told it to
    restore the original settings and saved same. Still no C:
    prompt. Nothing at all.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 17, 2006
  14. So why'd you bother with "wipe"? In case you hadn't noticed, setting a
    1 or a zero in a computer "wipes" whatever was there before!
    That's not a "problem", that's what you asked for! A zeroed out disk.
    You seem to be confused about what is a partition, file system, and so
    on. They're only patterns of bits - if you write a new pattern over
    them, the old doesn't show through! So there is no need to "wipe".
    Well of course not. That's like complaining there's no boat left after
    you applied the acetylene torch to "clean" it. What you wanted to do
    was simply delete the files in the file system, not vamosh the file
    system too. But you could have saved yourself the bother by just
    writing a new file system.

    Peter

    Peter T. Breuer, Jan 17, 2006
  15. OK, so either boot from the USB drive or boot Ghost from a floppy or
    recovery CD and restore the image.

    IMHO, you really need to take this to someone who knows what they are
    doing, this is a 10-minute job for someone with a clue, but there
    don't seem to be any on your island.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 17, 2006
  16. Joseph Fenn

    Paul Rubin Guest

    If you wiped the drive, then it no longer "has" Ghost v9 and the image
    file. Rather, it "had" those files.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 17, 2006
  17. AFAICT it's an external hard drive, and he wiped the system drive. One
    can only guess how he did the Ghost backup, how recent it is, or how
    easy it is to restore it, but IMHO Joseph doesn't have the skillset to
    formulate the questions he needs to ask, so he needs to hire some
    professional assistance.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 18, 2006
  18. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    The problem Peter is that there is no warning or help that defines
    just what you said above. I assumed WIPE was just a NTFS
    capable type of formating tool to clear all off the C: Drive so
    I could get the image back into the c: drive.
    Now I dont have a c: prompt so thats impossible.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 18, 2006
  19. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    No need to be snotty about it. Snottiness is not part of IMHO.
    should we call it IMSO instead!!!!!!!
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 18, 2006
  20. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    I did'nt wipe the MAXTOR. Its setting there in good shape just
    waiting for me to get a C: prompt back so I can restore to c:
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Jan 18, 2006