WIPE vs WIPE/MEDIA???

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Joseph Fenn, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Again am asking what is the difference between WIPE and WIPE/MEDIA.
    I bought both programs about 3 months ago from Office Max but forgot
    why I needed both. I found out the hardway that "WIPE" will take
    your c: drive out entirely not even leaving a c: prompt.
    I am assumming that WIPE/MEDIA will work a little differently in that
    it will leave the Drive prompt c: in tact and just cream all the data
    on the c: drive. I have my c: drive back in operation and with 2
    partitions created by PM8. C: is winxp/pro, E: is win95.
    Maybe wipe/media would just maintain the partitions and drive letters
    but wipe all the data out just leaving the partitions in tack.
    I hate to try "media/wipe" and find out I made another big mistake.
    Joe

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

    Joseph Fenn, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Please don't. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Since you've
    proven you don't understand that the OS lives on the disk, "wiping"
    the disk in any way shape, or form is going to leave you very unhappy
    again. Take the software back to OfficeMax and explain that it's
    inapropriate for you to own and you want your money back.

    Trust me, no-one on this newsgroup can "help" you.

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Again I would like to know why the same company would write the
    same software with 2 different names. "WIPE" and "WIPE MEDIA"!!!!

    No one seems to have a direct answer on that. I already know what
    "WIPE" does and it reallly screwed me once and once only".
    So again the question remains what does "WIPE MEDIA" by the same
    company do. I suspect there is an answer to this. Has anyone
    tried the "WIPE MEDIA"? It might do just what I want it to do.
    Wipe all data in the various partitions and leave the partitioncs
    and Dr letters as is.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Joseph Fenn

    Don Young Guest

    Are there no descriptions or instructions on the package or in the
    literature that tell you what the software does?

    Don Young

    Don Young, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Since this is retail software, presumably it will tell you on the
    product box what it does.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Joseph Fenn

    coorslte Guest

    why don't you contact the vendor....they will most likely have a
    definitive answer.

    coorslte, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Joseph Fenn

    KJB Guest

    I assume you're talking about WipeDrive and MediaWiper from
    http://www.datatexcorp.com/index.htm

    From their site:

    Wipe Drive Formerly know as CleanDrive
    Your sold, donated or discarded computer could cost you thousands!

    Formatting your hard drive DOES NOT erase your data!

    Don't give away your personal information with your old PC. Over the past
    five years, one in four households was victimized by identity theft. If you
    do not erase your personal information before selling or donating your
    computer, your personal identity or company trade secrets could be stolen
    and used against you. Deleting a file, partitioning a disk, or formatting a
    hard drive will not erase your data. By using WipeDrive, you can securely
    overwrite and remove ALL of your information giving you the peace of mind
    you deserve.

    -AND-

    MediaWipe

    Recycling drives made easy!

    MediaWiper takes the guesswork out of wiping your drives. Its easy-to-use
    interface and powerful data sanitizing technology puts you in complete
    control. You decide when and how to wipe your hard drives, diskettes, media
    cards, USB devices and more.

    MediaWiper is the perfect companion tool to WipeDrive. It can wipe all your
    drives except the Windows operating system drive (generally your C: drive)
    and any CDROM/DVD drives. To wipe the Windows drive, Windows cannot be
    running. See WipeDrive to learn how to wipe your operating system drive

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Seems pretty clear to me...

    KJB, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Joseph Fenn

    J. Clarke Guest

    If you are talking about the products described at
    <http://www.datatexcorp.com/html/wipedrive.htm> and
    <http://www.datatexcorp.com/html/mediawipe.htm> the difference is clearly
    described on those pages. One wipes out the boot drive, the other wipes
    out everything but the boot drive.

    Both are intended specifically to erase _all_ data on a storage device so
    that it may be disposed of without risk of someone recovering sensitive
    information from it.

    Unless that is what you are doing you have no need for either of these
    products.

    In your earlier discussion you mentioned that someone told you that you
    needed to use it in order to restore an image recorded with Ghost 9.

    In my opinion you is that you should never, _ever_ take any advice with
    regard to computer operation from this person again. I have restored
    numerous such images and have never had any need for either of these
    programs. If you just want to clear the disk the disk manufacturers have
    free utilities that will do this--they may not do as thorough a job of it
    but they do all that is needed to be able to restore an image using Ghost.
    The utilities he recommended are gross overkill for the purpose.

    All that you really needed to do is put the Ghost recovery disk (which is
    labelled in big black letters "Symantec Recovery Disk") in the CD drive
    and boot from it and it would have taken you by the hand from there.

    You went on and on about not having a C prompt. With any Windows NT derived
    operating system, which includes Windows XP, there _is_ no "C prompt"--wipe
    the OS and the machine becomes unbootable. You can create the same
    situation in MSDOS just by deleting command.com. If you wipe out the
    contents of the boot drive this is the normal and expected behavior.

    From your list of amateur radio activities it seems clear that you are a
    reasonably intelligent and technologically literate person, however it
    seems to me that you really need to do a lot more homework with regard to
    computers before you attempt to maintain your own, otherwise you are going
    to continue to get yourself into trouble.

    J. Clarke, Feb 19, 2006