    system?

    Thanks
    Craig
    csturdiv at hotmail.com
    csturdivant at arlingtoncp.com

    Craig Sturdivant, May 14, 2004

  2. Craig Sturdivant

    CJT Guest

    There are different meanings to "wiped" depending on level of
    paranoia.

    Assuming they're SCSI drives, you should be able to low-level format
    them on any SCSI equipped system. That should be sufficient for the
    non-paranoid. Repeatedly writing random bits on them after an LLF
    is a bonus.

    Destruction by fire, with the remains ground up, is pretty effective
    for the truly paranoid.

    Most ATA drives can not be low-level formatted without the assistance
    of their manufacturer. However, they can be mounted and randomly
    written to repeatedly. After enough passes, it should be all but
    impossible to extract the original information.

    CJT, May 14, 2004

  3. According to
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Disk/DISK_Fuj_MAB3045SC.html
    they have 80 pint SCA2 connector, otherwise they appear to be ordinary
    single-ended scsi disks.
    Assuming you can properly connect and terminate them, yes.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/coreutils_69.html

    shred overwrites devices or files, to help prevent even very
    expensive hardware from recovering the data.

    I usually run it like so:

    # shred --verbose --zero /dev/<raw device>

    with said device being unmounted. By default, shred takes 25 passes,
    writing both random and fixed bit patters to the disk. Zeroing the
    disk out causes a 26th pass to be made, writing zeros to the disk.

    Such thoroughness is a time consuming task. You may want to
    experiement, depending on ones level of paranoia.

    James

    I R A Darth Aggie, May 15, 2004