"wireless capability is turned off on this computer"

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Vostro 1500 laptop

    This has happened last night and now again. I'm sitting in my recliner, I lift
    my laptop and go to place my laptop on the nearby chair. Before I can set it
    down, I've lost internet.

    It's apparently the physical action of lifting/moving the laptop that does it,
    since it's happened twice in exactly the same way. Internet is immediately
    dead and can't be brought back. I know it goes immediately dead because Skype
    gives the disconnect sound effect.

    When I then clicked to diagnose why 'my computer can't find any networks', I
    get the text as spelled out in the Subject line of my post. I checked the
    wireless switch on the side of my laptop. It was correct. I turned the switch
    off and then on again, but that had zero effect. But when I rebooted, I was
    automatically online again.

    Any ideas?

    Tom, Oct 28, 2009

  2. Tom

    Justbob30 Guest

    Try going into device manager, network adaptors, wireless adaptor, power
    management & deselect allow computer to manage/turn off this device.

    Justbob30, Oct 29, 2009

  3. Hi!
    Well, if it isn't the switch...it may very well be an issue with the
    laptop's casing deforming enough when picked up that the card
    momentarily loses contact with its socket inside the computer. You can
    see the wireless card by opening one of the doors on the bottom of the
    computer. It should be marked with some indication of what it is, and
    it may be under the same door as the memory is.

    If this is a new system, I'd let Dell handle it unless you are
    comfortable looking inside and checking the card. (Chances are good
    that if you are, and the card is loose, you will have saved yourself a
    minimum of an hour's worth of tech support script reading.)

    If this is an older system and it's been dropped (even gently) the
    card could have popped loose enough to work but still have problems
    when the system is handled.

    The antenna wires run up into the display panel, but if they were
    broken I'd expect that wireless functionality would cut out whenever
    the display is handled, or be finicky in general.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Oct 29, 2009