    Obviously I don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,
    Al

    Alan Johnston, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Alan Johnston

    Ben Myers Guest

    Alan,

    Your best bet is to replace the 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA card with a 802.11g wifi
    PCMCIA card with drivers to support the operating system you are using on the
    Armada.

    An inferior choice is USB wifi, with a fairly clumsy external setup, altho my
    wife's notebook uses a Linksys 802.11b USB quite successfully... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card and
    would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I assume.
    And then I'm all set.
    Thanks a million

    Al

    Alan Johnston, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Alan Johnston

    metronid Guest

    Ben so your wife uses a USB wireless.
    I use a USB on my desktop because it is easily movable if needed.
    It is nice not having to open and place a card in.
    Although that is a small doable.

    USB for a laptop.
    AS I said you can always use it some where else.
    Also saves a slot.

    Drawbacks for USB
    They project out making an easy break off from unit.

    Although modern computers have USB powers now through the bios.
    Theese are designated for simple keyboard and a few others and sometimes a
    little more.
    They are different than a floppy which a a single function whose
    functionality is
    the same in bios boot as it in Windows
    Not really OS dependent
    USB drivers are multi functional and vary from the bios functions extremely

    The functionality of a USB driver for use as wireless port is not only
    driver dependent
    but also OS depenedent.
    Most USB if not all need WIN98SE or greater.

    Cards will work on the OS below these for wireless
    No need to go XP

    That is the reason I would pick a card.

    Now if laptops had a USB port that was parallel to the unit where breakage
    was not a concern
    and the OS was suitable than the USB would be my choice.

    metronid, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Makes sense to me. Actually, I put XP Pro Corp in the Armada (* I know
    that's not ideal because the HD is small and XP is big!!) I DID, however,
    add some memory to it. Have 192Mb now. It does seem to be a sturdy but
    heavy laptop. Wireless will give me some mobility around the house. Hope
    it's fairly easy to set it up wireless after I get the card. I haven't done
    wireless before with ANYTHING!!

    Thanks for the info and thoughts.

    Al

    Alan Johnston, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Alan Johnston

    metronid Guest

    I have a cable internet
    I used to have my modem on the 2nd floor and my daughter was hard wired to
    her room which is adjacent to my computer rooom.

    I did not trust comcast to bring the line up to my 2nd floor.
    Ran the cable myself.

    My daughter decided that she wanted her computer in the basement.
    I did so and placed the cable modem there as this was the entry point of the
    cable line.
    I could have ran a long run of cat5 but did not feel like fishing through
    the walls.
    The only fishing I was going to do was with a rod and reel and it had
    nothing to do with networking.

    I purchased a wireless router and connected to the output of the cable
    modem.
    Cat5
    I took used one of the lan outputs cat5 to her computer
    Small run.

    I inserted the CD that came with the unit and she was set up.
    Or something close to that.

    I purchased a USB wireless for my computer.
    Placed the Cd in for that unit and was finsihed.

    Just make sure of compatibility of a/b/g etc 802.1

    I am running great

    She uses a laptop that is wireless and it came set up.

    When purchasing make sure the tech support is toll free and around the
    clock.

    I am using D-Link
    Price was great
    Support is always there

    Some have faster speeds
    All are greater than the cable modem speed.
    Unless you are talking to other computers in your network and transferring
    files from
    computer to computer than 802.1b is good enough.
    The wireeless network speed is greater than the ISP connection speed in
    most cases.

    metronid, Apr 12, 2006
  7. Alan Johnston

    Ben Myers Guest

    Wifi with XP is pretty easy. Worst case is that you need to install drivers
    from a CD. Best case is that the wifi PCMCIA card is recognized automatically
    by XP, and its drivers installed. USB wifi almost always requires a driver CD.
    Afterward, XP has built-in software to sniff out wireless access points, and
    connect to them... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 12, 2006
  8. Thanks a million to everybody!! I got the wifi pcmcia card, ran the cd and
    all worked great. how did I get along without it?

    Alan Johnston, Apr 13, 2006