    Anybody here get a wireless card working on their 1210? I used to have a
    3com card (ethernet) in this slot and it worked perfectly.

    Thanks,

    Jgibbs, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Jgibbs

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'll suggest that the problem is more likely that the USR wireless card requires
    a later revision of PCMCIA (PC Card) slot than the one in the Presario 1210.

    What happens when you go into Control Panel and click the Add New hardware icon,
    then ask the computer to detect the card ?

    The Older 3COM PCMCIA network cards all work with the earliest of PCMCIA slots.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Jgibbs

    Tom Scales Guest

    Except that if it requires cardbus (PC Card) and the 1210 doesn't support
    it, the card physically wouldn't fit. They are shaped slightly differently.

    I am almost positive the 1210 is late enough to support it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Jgibbs

    Ben Myers Guest

    Good catch. According to the US Robotics web site, the USR5410 requires an
    "Available PC Card CardBus Type II slot".

    The specs for the Presario 1210 on the HPaq web site state "One (1) Type II or
    one (1) Type III PC card slot", but makes no mention of CardBus. So the card
    would seem to be incompatible. PCMCIA->PC Card->CardBus. Just another instance
    of the moving and changing and sometimes incompatible evolution of hardware
    "standards".

    Compaq seems to have annoyingly recycled model numbers here. The original
    Presario 1210 is a 150MHz Pentium notebook with a max of 80MB. The Presario
    1210US is an 800MHz Athlon notebook... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Jgibbs

    Tom Scales Guest

    My memory may be failing, but I believe the switch the PCCard as a term was
    when Cardbus was introduced -- meaning they are synonomous. I'm pretty sure
    my P133 Armada 4133T was Cardbus compatible, but only on ONE of its slots.

    Regardless, the Cardbus cards have a different shape and will NOT fit in a
    standard PCMCIA slot.

    So, if it fits, the laptop supports Cardbus.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Jgibbs

    Quaoar Guest

    For Win9x you will definitely need to install the driver with the card
    *removed*. Explore the CD for a folder Drivers or Win9x or something
    like that for a driver installer. If the driver then installs OK,
    insert the card and the card should be found.

    At this point, it is possible that the card has been identified as
    something else. Boot to Safe Mode, check Device Manager for any unknown
    device and remove it. Then install the driver, then insert the card and
    it will be identified.

    Quaoar, Feb 6, 2005