Wireless card won't connect to home network

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by fuzzy1, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. fuzzy1

    fuzzy1 Guest

    Help! I have spent hours trying to connect my Dell 600m wireless card to my
    home network.
    The home network is a D-Link DI-624 set at WPA2-AES with a nine digit/number
    network passphrase. I know this is all set correctly as my Toshiba laptop
    with a NetGear wireless card connects no problem.
    The Dell defaults to WEP with an open system, when I change them to the
    above configuration and try to connect it doesn't and defaults back to
    WEP/open.
    I have tried to manually enter everything but with no results.
    The Dell wireless card is a Broadcom network adapter.
    I have also hardwired the laptop to the router and it connects with no
    problem.
    I can't figure this one out is it a setting or is the card messed up? I
    should mention everything was working perfectly before I set-up the security
    so I highly doubt it's the card as I can connect to any open system with the
    laptop.
    Please post messages here as my e-mail addy will not work.

    Thanks

    Terry

    fuzzy1, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Driver update for your card.

    google: Broadcom Wireless Utility, The HP link, it will solve your probs.

    G.G. Willikers, Mar 20, 2008

  3. From your description, it's definitely a settings issue, the card is
    working fine. This can be quite difficult, as sometimes the software on
    the wireless router and the network card transform the entered strings
    into actual encryption keys differently .... sometimes you have to
    resort to pure hexadecimal for entering the encryption keys. Also,
    there are a number of flavors of WPA, and not all devices are compatible
    with the same different flavors.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 21, 2008
  4. The Broadcom Wireless Utility adds the WPA2 support that the Dell
    drivers sometimes lack.

    G.G. Willikers, Mar 21, 2008
  5. fuzzy1

    Roger Mills Guest

    I assume you haven't enabled MAC address filtering on the router, and failed
    to include the MAC address of this new card in its pass list?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 21, 2008
  6. There are multiple sub-variants of WPA encryption

    Barry Watzman, Mar 22, 2008

  7. Uh Yeah, that's why the updated Broadcom Wireless Utilities Application
    is recommended as it adds support for the previously unsupported variants.
    At the same time, if his card does not support some exotic variant of
    WPA, then he might want to back off a security level or two, or find a
    wireless card that can handle the exotic variant, preferably one that is
    compatible with his router, eh?

    There really is no mystery to it, square peg, round hole, won't fit.
    Easy, Peasy.

    G.G. Willikers, Mar 22, 2008
  8. fuzzy1

    fuzzy1 Guest

    Thanks all for your advice. It turns out the card itself will not support
    WPA2-AES so my next step is to disable the card and add a wireless USB from
    one of the local computer shops and use their utility works like a charm. I
    could have saved myself about 4 hours by doing this but live and learn.

    Terry

    fuzzy1, Mar 22, 2008
  9. You would be better served to buy a new (or used)internal card (very
    easy to install). The antennae built into your laptop will always
    provide better reception, plus you always run the risk of breaking an
    external device sticking out of your machine.

    Check ebay or craigslist for an internal wireless card. You should be
    able to find an intel 2200 or a Broadcom A/B/G for $20.00.

    G.G. Willikers, Mar 22, 2008