    card) does not seem to recognize a wireless connection. What would be
    the problem here? Thanks in advance, I know I shouldn't be unplugging
    things, but oh well, right?

    mrharrymason, Jul 10, 2005

  2. mrharrymason

    Andrew Guest

    : Hi, I was just messing around with some cords on my computer and
    : accidentally unplugged my Linksys Wireless-G broadband router from my
    : computer. however, I've re-hooked it to the wall and my PC, and it
    : seems to pull up a good system fine. However, my laptop(with wireless
    : card) does not seem to recognize a wireless connection. What would be
    : the problem here? Thanks in advance, I know I shouldn't be unplugging
    : things, but oh well, right?

    OK, let's be clear: you have a Wireless router (with built-in cable
    modem?), a desktop PC, and a laptop? The desktop PC has a wired
    connection to the router and the laptop has a wireless connection?
    The desktop PC's wired connection to the internet works fine, but your
    laptop won't connect via wireless?

    This happened when you unplugged the router/cable modem from power or
    from the broadband connection itself?

    In any case, a few things you can try:

    1. Does your laptop have an Ethernet jack where you can plug a cable
    into it and see if you can connect it to your network without the
    wireless card? Does that work?

    2. Can your wireless card see the wireless network at all? Open a
    command ("DOS") window - (run "cmd" in Win2K or WinXP), then type
    this:

    ipconfig

    Do you see an IP address? Do the same thing on your desktop PC and
    you'll see an IP address if as you say that one is working.

    You can try to do this:

    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

    As well, to see if you can get the laptop to re-establish the
    wireless connection.

    Also, on your laptop, right-click on the wireless icon to view
    available wireless networks. Yours just doesn't come up there?

    You might also login to the router configuration. Check the
    linksys user's manual to see how to do this. On my Netgear router,
    I point my web browser to http://192.168.0.1 to login to the
    router. Yours may be different but should be something like that.
    Do it from the Desktop PC. Check your wireless settings, make sure
    they are still set, etc. Maybe you reset the router to factory
    settings by accident when it was unplugged?

    Give us some more info, we can try to help you more.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Assuming your laptop COULD connect wirelessly before this event, it
    sounds like the router must have reset to factory settings. In this
    case, your laptop can be looking for the site to be encrypted and be
    looking for a specific SSID. The router at factory settings would be
    unencrypted and SSID=ANY.

    Check the router's configuration settings and those in the laptop's
    wireless configuration to make sure they match.

    As a last option, press and hold the "reset" button on the router for
    10-15 seconds so that it actually DOES a reset to factory settings.
    Then, see if your laptop can find it.

    Does your laptop even see any wireless networks? Could you have
    turned off the laptop's radio -- usually there is a status-bar icon to
    display the radio status. You might have a physical switch on the
    laptop to turn off the radio. Dells, which I have, use Alt-F2 to turn
    the radio on and off.

    You might be interested in some of the wireless networking and
    security articles at my website. The wireless networking and security
    article is at http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/wireless.php
    .. For beginners, I have basic information on wireless network setup
    at http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/home_net_basics6.php .

    Terry
    My main website: http://www.terrystockdale.com
    My tips site and weekly newsletter: http://www.terryscomputertips.com