WIRELESS ROUTER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Scotty, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    Currently I have a Westell 2100 DSL Modem which as I understand is a router
    too with a 3 Mb DSL service from BellSouth. Attached to it is a NetGear 4
    Port Switch which has three computers currently hardwired into it, two
    desktops and a laptop. I have a Dell E1505 that has a wireless card built
    in (501g), but while it is being used at home is hard wired into the NetGear
    Switch.

    What I want to do is utilize the wireless card in the E1505 by replacing the
    Switch with a NetGear G Wireless Router that the only difference in
    appearance between it and the current Switch is this one has an antenna
    attached to it and has 4 ports for any computers or print servers hardwired
    into it. I intend to keep the desktops hardwired into system and allow the
    laptop to float and be used anywhere in the house. My question is, can I
    just switch out the current 4 Port NetGear Switch with the Wireless NetGear
    Router, or will there be a problem between the Westell Modem/Router and the
    NetGear Router.

    Now my next question is what would I gain by going to a 108 mps G+ as
    opposed to the 54 mps G Router, other than speed and area covered. The
    E1505 laptop is used like a desktop in that my son and me both surf the Net,
    do e-mails, and do instant messaging, but no gaming that uses up a lot of
    bandwidth.

    Thanks,
    Scotty

    Scotty, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Scotty

    Ben Myers Guest

    By going to 108 mps G+ (aka pre-N), you will probably by buying long term
    incompatibilities with the 802.11n standard when approved. The wifi industry
    is moving ever so slowly in the direction of 802.11n, with better speed and
    range than the current 802.11g. Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo and all the others
    have jumped the gun and they are hyping the speed of their pre-N equipment.

    In practice, you would gain absolutely zero in terms of speed of access to the
    internet. But you might see some speed improvement in file sharing between
    your E1505 and the other computers connected to the switch. You would only see
    an improvement if your E1505 also had a compatible Netgear G+ wifi card.

    So... Save your money. You can probably buy a Netgear or Linksys 802.11g
    router without G+ or pre-N, and pay a lot less.

    Finally, if you get a wifi router, you will need to disable DHCP in either the
    Westell or the router. You can't have two network units serving up IP
    addresses as computers power up. Because your Westell is also a router, you
    might consider simply an 802.11g wifi access point, not a whole router.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Scotty

    Jay B Guest

    the e1505 will not run at the faster speed. however, the reception will
    be better slightly.

    Jay B, Dec 7, 2006
  4. *** no cross-posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where
    it was read.

    you can replace your switch with a netgear wireless router but it will
    require a little bit of configuration. this is not difficult and offers
    advantages.

    right now you use a software dialer to log into your dsl service. with the
    netgear router (or anyone's router like the dlink made 'e-home' wireless
    router on sale for $5 after rebate this week at compusa) you will have to
    put your bell south username and password into the router. this way the
    router maintains the connection to bell south and so can then share that
    single internet line with all the computers attached to the router. you can
    also choose to name and password protect the wireless side of your network
    so that neighbors or passerby's can't steal internet access from you.

    if you want to have wireless access that is faster than the standard 'g'
    variety then first you should have a faster internet connection for it to be
    meaningful. also you would need the same technology on the sending and
    receiving end (meaning that you would need a new wireless adapter for the
    laptop for it to be able to communicate with the same faster technology that
    might be in the router. stick with g. the only real advantage with going
    faster it for copying files from pc to pc (or laptop) on your network - not
    for internet speed which only goes as fast as it is, 3mpbs in your case.

    good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    Interesting you mention about 'stealing' internet access from my neighbors.
    Right now even hardwiring in the E1505 if I activate the wireless card it
    will show me my neighbors' wireless accounts. Two are unprotected and one
    has a protected connection. I haven't tried, but I'm willing to bet I can
    access their accounts.

    Scotty

    Scotty, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Scotty

    Tom Scales Guest

    A few years ago my wife came into my office really mad that the internet was
    down. I was using my laptop and challenged her because I was working fine.
    She was really mad at me.

    Turns out that my laptop had just found the next strongest signal and
    connected through my neighbor.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2006
  7. A better solution, although it might cost more, would be to connect a
    Wireless Access Point (WAP) to the switch. A wireless router IS a
    router, a switch and a wirless access point all in a single box. In
    your case, you already have the router (only single port) as part of
    your Westell DSL modem. If you need more ports, you could replace the 4
    port switch with an 8 port switch. That's the logically "right" way to
    do this, but it may actually cost more than just buying a wireless
    router. However, that would connect a router to a router. While this
    can be made to work, it's not really the architecturally "right" way to
    do it. I think that there is an option in the Westell modem to turn of
    the router (more correctly, to turn off NAT ... network address
    translation; "expose" the computer to a public rather than a private IP
    address).

    Interestingly, on woot.com, they are having a "woot off" today, and they
    had a Linksys 802.11b Wireless Access Point for $9.99. However, it's
    over now. But woot.com is worth checking out, it's a unique site.

    (look up woot.com on wikipedia for background info before actually going
    to the site).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  8. I believe that you are incorrect. While what you describe was common at
    one time, most of the current DSL products handle all of the PPPoE
    protocols and login/password entirely in the DSL modem and present the
    computer with a straight TCP/IP interface with DHCP and all, just like a
    cable modem. And although there are different models of Westell modems,
    I have set some of them up and I know that most of them normally do this
    as well (it can, however, be turned off/bypassed .... but that's no
    longer a standard configuration). The issue for the OP is that most of
    the DSL modems now go even further than cable modems and have a single
    port router and NAT inside them as well, which complicates using a 2nd
    router (wireless or not), although it's not impossible. "Double NAT"
    (router to router) will work, although it can be confusing, or you may
    want to turn off the router capabilities of the DSL modem (which are
    separate and distinct from turning off the PPPoE handling inside the DSL
    modem).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  9. Re: "I haven't tried, but I'm willing to bet I can access their accounts."

    You probably can. And in some states, you can go to prison for it.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  10. Not in South Carolina because guess what, it's called 'War Driving' and it
    is promoted by the local computer stores as a means to show why you should
    protect your wireless account. The best one is our local library has their
    antenna outside so if you park in their lot you can have access to the
    internet through their system. Now it is filtered so you can't go anywhere
    you want to.

    Scotty.

    Scotty Silton, Dec 8, 2006
  11. if the westell 2100 is a brouter (bridge or router) in router mode then he
    can leave it alone with the username/password already installed and just
    configure the netgear wireless router for wireless network name and
    security. but if it is a brouter then i think that the preferable
    configuration is to switch the westell to bridge mode and configure the
    netgear to do the pppoe login or it will be hard to troubleshoot should
    there be a problem with either device.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2006
  12. Scotty

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, that is exactly what I've preferred doing, setting up the Westell 2100 as a
    bridge and letting the wifi router be a router. The other way works, too,
    disabling DHCP in the router.

    One further comment: Not all DSLs are equal. I suspect that Verizon DSL is
    Verizon DSL is Verizon DSL, with apologies to Gertrude Stein. But DSL from a
    CLEC can be something different to configure and set up... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 8, 2006
  13. Scotty

    RnR Guest

    Correct. In my experience, depending on the wireless card and it's
    software, you can have it do this automatically or manually.

    My kids in the past, got tired of my fiddling around with our
    connection so they just piggy backed on to a neighbor's network to
    access the internet. Lately tho, I don't think they can do it because
    when I look at the available networks, they are secured (at least vs.
    most people).

    RnR, Dec 10, 2006