    I simply wish to move my (single) PC to a room where it is impractical
    to run a modem/network cable.

    thanks for any advice.

    walter mitty, Sep 25, 2004

  2. walter mitty

    Arno Wagner Guest

    If you add a wireless networking card to the PC, sure. If there
    is not too much steel in the walls between the PC and the router.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 25, 2004

  3. walter mitty

    walter mitty Guest

    So the router does not need a PC connected directly to control it?

    walter mitty, Sep 25, 2004
  4. walter mitty

    Arno Wagner Guest

    There is nothing the router needs to work besides power.
    Even a connection to the internet is optinal. Without one it
    just connects all the woreless devices to each other (if so
    configured). You may need a PC to configure it, but then it
    is autonomous. There is not need to control anything during
    normal operation.

    And now I do understand why you ask this. Is seems that again the
    technology has become too complicated. The PC directly connected in
    these pictures just symbolizes that you can also connect a PC via
    cable, not only wirelessly. You can do this because many wireless
    routers today also include a wire-bound switch, i.e. a device that can
    be used to connect several devices together with network cables. The
    switch is actually a separate device from the wireless router, at
    least logically. There is no need to connect anything to it.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 25, 2004
  5. walter mitty

    walter mitty Guest

    Thanks for much help. Another thing that I'm having no help googling up
    is the adaptor for the PC itself. Are they "generic"? PCI? USB?

    Say I buy a Linksys WRT54GS , what adaptor would I use for my desktop?

    walter mitty, Sep 26, 2004
  6. walter mitty

    walter mitty Guest

    I think I found it:

    Linksys WMP54G-FR Wireless-G 54Mbps PCI Card (EU)

    walter mitty, Sep 26, 2004
  7. walter mitty

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Yes, that is an option. Any other 802.11g PCI card would work
    also. Good luck with the set-up and don't forget to activate
    the encryption, unless you want everybody walking by your
    flat to use your WLAN ;-)

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 26, 2004