    laptop to use around the house.

    Im curious if anyone out there is using such a
    setup....and how well it is working for you?

    john63401, Jun 23, 2003

  2. I have a Dell C400 and an SMC router with the printer port so I can
    print to an attached printer through the wireless connection. Works
    fine other than the fact that Charter Pipeline service has to be reset
    occasionally.

    Robin

    Robin Brumfield, Jun 23, 2003

  3. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    I would also opt to just add a wireless access to your existing setup. I am
    Hmm

    Good point Patrick!

    Thanks

    john63401, Jun 23, 2003
  4. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    I kept my wireless router (a Netgear RP114) and simply plugged in a
    Did u mean to say that you kept your WIRED router in
    the above instead of wireless?

    john63401, Jun 23, 2003
  5. john63401

    Tom Scales Guest

    WRT54G

    No, it's not completely certified but close and Linksys has a press release
    that this model WILL receive a firmware download to update it to the final
    spec.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 23, 2003
  6. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    I had an extra AP laying around after helping someone else and decided to
    Hahaha

    OK.... I see now

    Well... I currently have a desktop.... but have been
    thinking abt buying a second home PC....and am thinking
    of a laptop or table PC for that. Hence the wireless
    questions...

    Big thanks!!

    john63401, Jun 24, 2003
  7. john63401

    Markeau Guest

    I had been using a USRobotics USR8011 broadband wireless router and
    print server for over a year then just recently upgraded to a Netgear
    FM114P SPI firewall, wireless router and print server. You would have
    less security concerns if you set them up to only allow the mac
    addresses and ip's of the wireless clients, use 128 WEP, and add
    software firewalls to each pc.

    Markeau, Jun 24, 2003
  8. john63401

    Tom Scales Guest

    In fact, every place I looked locally, the AP was MORE expensive, as the
    Router had mail in rebates.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 24, 2003
  9. there is a better way to secure your wireless network without haivng to
    trouble with turning the ap on and off... simply enable filtering so that
    your router only 'talks' to the unique mac address of your wireless network
    card, and enable encryption so that the wireless network traffic between
    your laptop and router can not easily be intercepted. search the
    linksys.com knowledgebase for easy to follow instructions on how to do this
    and rest easy.

    Christopher Muto, Jun 24, 2003
  10. john63401

    Pat Conover Guest