Wireless WAN coverage for Thinkpad X300

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Moira, Jun 23, 2008.

  1. Moira

    Moira Guest

    Hi,

    I'm new to this, so forgive me if my inquiry doesn't make much sense!

    I am looking for a way to get both domestic AND international WWAN
    network coverage on a Thinkpad x300 (say, something like the Verizon
    Wireless Express Card Bundle, which comes with 2 cards, one for use in
    the U.S. and one for international use). However i'm told that the
    x300 is different than most laptops in that it doesn't have the
    typical "slot" for broadband cards. In basically has its own built in
    card and then the wireless carrier has to provide a tiny SIM card
    (usually about 2cm x 2cm) that slides into the back of the x300
    laptop. Depending on how it's configured at the time of purchase it
    will have one of two WWAN cards.

    Does anyone know of a carrier that can provide this kind of technology
    for the X300?

    Thanks!
    Moira

    Moira, Jun 23, 2008

  2. Moira

    Ben Myers Guest

    Perhaps USB versions of the same hardware as in the Verizon Wireless Express
    Card Bundle? It's worth asking.

    Depending on where you are traveling, the built-in 802.11g wifi may be all that
    you'll ever need... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Moira

    Moira Guest

    Do you think the built-in wifi would work in the UK?

    Thanks!

    Moira, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Moira

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, the built-in should work. My son has had zero problems with his Mac and
    its wifi in Asia. Europe is pretty much in lock-step with the US on wifi
    standards. Carry an Ethernet cable, too, for those occasions when wifi is
    unavailable, but you are in an office or on a campus with Ethernet.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 23, 2008
  5. Moira

    Todd H. Guest