Wires from power switch broke; can't turn on computer, HELP

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Wilson, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    I can touch the two wires to a screwdriver to turn on the comp, but this is
    a short quick fix. I need it back like it was.

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Hooking any MOMENTARY CONTACT switch between those two wires will power
    up your computer. Or, you could just connect the wires together for a
    second or so until the computer powers up.

    All that switch does is connect - temporarily - two contacts on the
    motherboard to give the power supply a signal to turn on. (Completely
    on - ATX power supplies provide a small signal current any time they are
    plugged in)

    Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
    power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
    switch was hooked up.

    --
    "Outback" Jon - KC2BNE

    AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.18 GHz and 3.5GHz of other AMD power...
    http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 33432
    http://www.teammft.com - got a clan? Misfit Toys

    1980 CB750F SuperSport "CoolerKing" (until it tells me it's name)

    \Outback\ Jon, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can >use that to
    Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using my
    reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out that
    used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can buy to
    make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  5. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    Can't I get a new switch for my Asus MOBO from Asus or some other outlet?

    I got the comp back on, and that was the emergency, but now I need to get my
    power switch back if it is easy to do so.

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  6. Wilson

    Bill Guest

    <snip>

    You would have to get a switch from the case manufacturer or failing
    that, take the switch to an electronics components shop and see if they
    can match it for you.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Wilson

    Natéag Guest

    It seems to me that the switch has nothing to do with the motherboard maker.
    It belongs to the computer case.

    Anyone with a soldering iron should be able to fix your power switch

    Natéag, Dec 10, 2005
  8. Replacements are available, but seem costly (to me anyway)
    http://tinyurl.com/czrkx on Ebay.

    If you know how (or know someone who does), you can probably pick up a
    switch at Radio Shack or somewhere similar and just solder it in place.

    \Outback\ Jon, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  10. Wilson

    Venom Guest

    I thought nobody would get around to thinking of the obvious quick and easy
    repair.

    Venom, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Wilson

    Wilson Guest

    The thing is I don't know if there is enough metal/steel left on the back
    side of the switch to do anything with. I assume nothing brok on the back
    side of the switch and that the wires just came loose. But I know nothing
    about soldering and have no tools to do it. The stubs on the back of the
    switch look like needle tips to me. But no matter what, I found another one
    I can buy.

    http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

    Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  12. "Buy"???? But that would, like, cost money!

    Any used computer stores in the neighborhood?
    Look in their dumpster, you'll find lots of old cases with
    assorted switched, LEDs and other useful bits... FREE.

    Here's my small collection of "front panel" stuff, with 3 of the
    same switch you're looking for right on top!

    http://tinypic.com/ifcsqx.jpg

    MasterBlaster, Dec 11, 2005
  13. Wilson

    Tony Guest

    Wish that store was in my neighborhood! :)

    Tony!

    Tony, Dec 11, 2005
  14. Wilson

    Bill Guest

    You know, I personally don't have a problem with dumpster diving.

    I've done it myself, but for informational purposes, in some
    municipalities it's against the law to do this.

    As the kindly officer said, (here)the law was enacted because people
    were leaving the trash they pulled out of the dumpster in the street,
    the city makes money off the recycleables, and the trash is still
    private property, belonging to the trash company, who also makes money
    off the recycleables.

    So be careful.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 11, 2005