    Not COPY, but MOVE?

    I want to move files from one window to the other. Can this be done?
    I've tried Cmd-drag and Option-drag and neither seems to work.

    Gary, Aug 27, 2010

  2. If both windows are for folders on the same drive/partition, move is the default
    action when you drag a file.

    If the two windows are for folders on different drives, partitions, or
    computers, drag the files to the destination, and before dropping them, press
    and hold the command key. The green circle "+" symbol on the mouse pointer
    should disappear, indicating that you're about to move instead of copy.

    It doesn't matter whether you press the command key before or after you start
    dragging; what's important is whether you're holding it when you let go of the
    mouse button.

    Note that the progress dialog will have the title "Copy" regardless of whether
    you're copying or moving, but the message itself will tell you whether it's
    Copying or Moving the file.

    If you want to copy a file to another folder on the same drive, it's a similar
    process except you hold down the option key while releasing the mouse button.

    Wayne C. Morris, Aug 27, 2010

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Thank you for this thorough explanation! I couldn't find it elsewhere.

    Gary, Aug 30, 2010