WOL (wake on lan) problem with P5W-DH deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Alexander Fuchs, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. Hi Asus experts,

    I've come across the following problem concerning WOL with both the onboard marvell ethernet interfaces:

    I enabled "allow PCI devices to wake up computer" in the Bios
    I enabled "allow PCI-E devices to wake up computer" in the Bios

    within Windows XP I went into the device manager and enabled "wake from shutdown" for both interfaces. I also enabled "magic packet".

    Result: While I am able to wake up my PC when it is in standby mode, I am unable to do so when it is turned off.

    I use etherwake <MAC-Address> command from a linux computer in my subnet. I also tried the wol <MAC-address> command from my Linksys router.

    My subnet is made-up of one Linksys DSL router, a linux box and the windows box.

    Can anybody give me a hint as to why wake-up is impossible once the PC is turned off?

    Thanks for your help!

    regards,
    Alexander

    Alexander Fuchs, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Alexander Fuchs

    daytripper Guest

    In my experience with numerous motherboards and nics - embedded or otherwise -
    I've yet to find one that will do a WOL from a completely powered-down state,
    and I bet it's the way Standby power isn't used in the critical path...

    daytripper, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Alexander Fuchs

    JamesH Guest

    I'm no experet on Lan but in BIOS there is a wake on lan option where you
    enable the LAN, is it enabled? Also, define power off? You still have to
    have power to the power supply you can't shut down from a extention/suge
    protector. Power to the powersupply must be constant..

    JamesH, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Alexander Fuchs

    arnaqueur Guest

    Hi,

    thanks for your reply!

    - I did not find any option in the motherboard-bios called "wake on
    lan" "WOL" or anything like that. I did not find a way to get into the
    NIC bios either Are you sure there is such thing as
    a WOL setting in the motherboard bios?

    - Power off means of course that the power-supply still gets power.
    By "power off" I mean that I just do a "shutdown" from within windows.
    I checked the ethernet-ports on the mainboard - the LEDs are on, so
    I'm sure the NIC get power.

    regards,
    Alexander

    arnaqueur, Feb 21, 2007
  5. Alexander Fuchs

    arnaqueur Guest

    Hi,

    thanks for your reply!

    As I mentioned in my other reply: "Power-off" means that the power-
    supply still gets power and that the LEDs on the NIC are still on.
    understanding of WOL is just wrong.

    regards,
    Alexander

    arnaqueur, Feb 21, 2007
  6. Alexander Fuchs

    JamesH Guest

    My error, it is the LAN ROM option and not WOL that can be enabled. At a
    guess, to lazy to pull out my manual, I would think the ROM option would
    have to be enabled as in "BOOT ROM", the ROM option is there for a reason. I
    didn't like using wake on PCI device, as whenever I turned on the power the
    computer would start because the AGP slot is a PCI slot and the computer
    thought it was time to wake up.

    JamesH, Feb 21, 2007
  7. Alexander Fuchs

    daytripper Guest

    No, nic boot rom isn't required to support WOL. Completely unrelated.
    And an AGP card can't cause a system to wake up from *any* state...

    daytripper, Feb 21, 2007
  8. Alexander Fuchs

    JamesH Guest

    THAT IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE SINCE IT WAS THE ONLY PCI DEVICE IN MY SYSTEM.

    JamesH, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Alexander Fuchs

    daytripper Guest

    Your keyboard is broken, too...