    record on it or something telling it to boot from a compaq bios only? I
    need to use the drive in the clone pc and I hate to reinstall all the
    software agian.

    pmjester, Oct 17, 2005

  2. pmjester

    HH Guest

    Not uncommon. The software, most notably the operating system, was installed
    on one machine with its particular hasrdware. If you then take the HD out
    and install it in another machine it most often will not boot. This would be
    an issue as well if you installed on the clone then tried ther drive in the
    Compaq. It's always best to install software on the machine it will be used
    in.

    HH

    HH, Oct 17, 2005

  3. HH is absolutely right, it has been the case for a long time that unless
    the two machines are close to identical (in particular the processor
    type and chipset and more generally the motherboard) you will have
    trouble booting from the installed OS of one machine on another machine.

    If you used Compaq instal disks they will have been BIOS locked to
    Compaq.

    Even if you can get the second machine to boot on the first machine's
    installed operating system you will need to re-activate.

    Nicholas D Richards, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Hard drives are not computer specific. If the drive has a an active
    bootable partition, it will boot. It is at the operating system
    level where you have problems with drivers not matching what devices
    are in the different computer. Compaq hard drive usually require
    Cable Select jumper settings. Change the jumper to Master and it
    should boot. It might not run well but you would be already past
    the boot process.

    Earl F. Parrish, Oct 22, 2005
  5. pmjester

    HH Guest

    Sorry Earl, I must disagree. While HDs are not computer hardware specific,
    software and particularly operating system installs certainly are. If a HD
    is installled in one PC and an operating system installed, the drive likely
    will NOT boot up another PC unless the other PC has the same chipset and
    processor. Even then, it's no guarantee it will boot the second PC. Likely
    the p9oster will have to reinstall the OS on the PC it will be used on.
    HH

    HH, Oct 22, 2005
  6. You contradicted yourself. How can one install the software if the
    computer will not boot? The operating system does not boot the
    computer. It is loaded after the boot process has been completed.
    That is why you can put a bootable floppy disk in any Intel or AMD
    based computer and boot to the A:\ prompt. It does not matter what
    is on the hard drive. You are confusing the boot process with
    actually running the computer. The original poster said that he
    just gets a blinking cursor. That means that the BIOS did not find
    a drive at all not that the operating system was installed on
    another computer. The BIOS is very low level intelligence and
    cannot read the entire hard drive. It simply looks for a boot
    sector. That would be there no matter what operating system is
    loaded if the drive is recognized in the first place.

    If the drive is recognized but has no boot sector, you will get the
    non-system drive error. If you have the BIOS set to boot only from
    the hard drive and the hard drive is not found, you will get the
    problem the original poster encountered.

    Earl F. Parrish, Oct 22, 2005
  7. pmjester

    HH Guest

    Uh, you boot to a floppy or a bootable OS CD, reformat and install the OS on
    the machine it is to be used on. Nothing complicated about that.

    HH

    HH, Oct 23, 2005
  8. Why are you so stubborn? You cannot format a drive if the BIOS does
    not recognize that the drive exists. The original poster's problem
    is that the BIOS does not see a hard drive at all. As I stated in my
    original reply, Compaq computers use Cable Select to determine which
    drive is Master and which is Slave. To use this method of drive
    selection, the computer has to have a hard drive cable which is
    Cable Select ready, The Master drive is on the end connector and
    the Slave drive is on the middle connector with Cable Select. If
    the cable in the second computer is not Cable Select ready, no drive
    is recognized. One would have to set the jumpers on the drive so
    that it is the Master drive and the jumpers on any other drive has
    to be set as Slave. The drives jumpered that way can be in either
    location on the drive cable

    Once the drive is recognized by the BIOS, the computer will go
    through the boot process. After the boot process is complete, the
    computer will attempt to load the operating system. This is where
    you might get problems if the chipset does not match the driver
    installed on the hard drive. If it will not load Windows XP at all,
    you would have to load it with a bootable CD-ROM with Windows XP.
    The bootable floppy disk method to load Windows XP requires six
    floppy disks, which most people have not prepared in advance. If
    the computer will load Windows up to the point where the CD-ROM
    drive is recognized, you can reinstall Windows from the Windows
    interface. That way the other software would not have to be
    reinstalled. Reinstallation from a bootable CD-ROM starts with a
    blank Registry so all software would have to be reinstalled.

    Here is a link on how BIOS works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

    Earl F. Parrish, Oct 23, 2005
  9. pmjester

    Ben Myers Guest

    Clearly the Compaq computer recognizes and operates properly with the 10GB
    drive, loaded with XP Home. The clone PC won't boot from the same drive. Why
    not? Your posting was not specific enough as to what exactly happened when the
    10GB drive was installed in the clone PC. So here are some questions, and also
    some very hypothetical assumptions.

    1. What are the exact make and model of the clone PC motherboard? Maybe the
    clone PC BIOS can handle the 10GB capacity. Maybe not. If not, the system will
    show differing systems, depending on how the BIOS tries to handle the drive with
    a capacity too large for its BIOS.

    2. Let me assume that the clone PC motherboard gives some sort of indication,
    like a BIOS message, that the computer is starting to boot up Windows. Does it
    display any sort of Windows XP splash screen?

    There IS something in the Compaq system that prevents the disk from booting on
    another computer. It is not that the BIOS is different. It is the 99:1 odds
    that at least one chipset in the clone PC is different from the chipset with a
    comparable function on the Compaq computer.

    Now for the punch line... If you expect a computer to boot up and run Windows
    XP, you absolutely MUST install Windows XP home on the hard disk when that hard
    disk is installed in the exact same computer. No ifs. No ands. No buts.
    That's the way it is. So get on with the task of installing XP Home on the
    clone computer with the 10GB disk installed in it, NOT in the Compaq computer.

    I'm not sure what led you to think that you could succeed with what you tried to
    do, but chalk it up as a learning experience... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2005
  10. pmjester

    dannysdailys Guest

    Anonymouswrote
    I put an IBM 10 gig drive on a Compaq and loaded winXP home. I the
    pu
    I believe I answered this question before

    No, it won't work, period. I would dare say, your Compaq system i
    Compaq locked and no amount of coaxing will undo it. You can't eve
    get Compaq drivers to work if the component isn't in a Compaq. I
    doesn't matter if the component came from a Compaq, it only matter
    if the component is in a Compaq

    This is very similar with programs like Nero. Nero comes bundled wit
    half the CD burners in the world, but each copy will only work wit
    the burner it came with. They're bios locked

    The posters are right about the OS bios issues as well. Generally, a
    OS will not run on a computer that isn't just like the computer it wa
    installed in. Sometimes they will be able to search and find drivers
    but not normally. Windows ME is the only OS I've had that could pul
    it off

    This is the same problem with Ghosting a full system and OS as backu
    on CD. By the time you may need the backup, the original machine i
    usually long gone, giving you a useless piece of plastic

    I agree with you, if you're tossing the Compaq, you should still ow
    Windows shouldn't you? Not a chance

    But, somehow I feel that's not what you're trying to do is it? You'r
    most probably trying to get a free OS for the clone and transferrin
    the drive was the first step in seeing if that would work

    Microsoft is smarter then that and you'll have to pony up the 8
    bucks

    If you are trashing the Compaq, raise cain with them and see wher
    that gets you. You'll probably hear the double-speak that says, no
    you don't own the software, only the machine. The software was onl
    for that machine; so in effect, you rented it

    dannysdailys, Oct 25, 2005
  11. pmjester

    Ben Myers Guest

    What? Either I do not understand what is stated here, or ????

    What is "Compaq locked"? Please explain this unique phrase.

    "You can't even get Compaq drivers to work if the component isn't in a Compaq."

    I disagree. Strongly. From at least the early Pentium II days, Compaq has used
    commodity chipsets and commodity add-on parts (graphics cards, sound cards,
    modems, etc.) in its systems. The Compaq drivers are little more than
    repackaged commodity drivers. The Compaq BIOS may prevent some commodity
    software from working at all, e.g. Intel's sensor monitoring software for P4s,
    which requires a stock Intel BIOS. The industry has finally matured enough for
    name-brand vendors to have a bit of economics common sense. In earlier days,
    Compaq and others twisted arms of chip manufacturers to build proprietary chips
    for them. First, cost of software support became a factor. Next, pricing to
    build the chips themselves was the clincher.

    You are correct about Nero, Record Now and other commercial CD burner products.
    Bundled versions are often tied to either the system motherboard BIOS or to the
    brand of CD-RW drive.

    No further comment... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 25, 2005
  12. pmjester

    dannysdailys Guest

    Ben Myerswrote:
    What? Either I do not understand what is stated here, or ????
    I beg to differ, have you ever downloaded a Compaq driver from their
    web site? for something as silly as a modem card, then tried to
    install that driver on a separate machine? It ain't gonna happen.
    They don't even come as drivers, they come as "ComPacks." I've tried
    this numerious times, in the time frame you mention and much later;
    and have never had success. This is obviously a Compaq custom bios
    question more then anything else.

    Try it, try it today. Take a component out of a Compaq, put it in
    your computer, go to the Compaq site and see if you can get the
    driver for it to work. It'll say; "this Compaq (whatever) can only
    be installed on a Compaq computer. Good Luck... So, you're out a
    modem card that you paid for! Forget the computer it came in. It's
    just like Windows itself. The drivers are only at the Compaq site or
    in the Compaq restore CD; which naturally, won't install on anything
    other then the exact machine it came off of.

    I found a Toshiba Laptop, that broke and Toshiba fixed, that wouldn't
    accept it's restore disk; because Toshiba fixed it with something
    probably better, but was not on that disk. This is quite common,
    where have you been?

    You have to go to the original vendors site and hope. That's if you
    can figure out who the vendor is. That's Compaq locked. That's
    Proprietary and that's why you don't want to buy a store bought
    computer period! I don't care what it is...

    The average consumer is much better served by their local white box
    shop. They have the highest customer satasfaction ratings for a
    reason.

    You get all your disks, you have no crap to weed out, and you have
    someone right down the street who built it. Like Duh???

    And, a totally compatable computer to whatever you want to do with it.

    dannysdailys, Oct 25, 2005
  13. pmjester

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, in the last couple of years I've sold a stack of Compaq computers, Pentium
    3 or Pentium 4. Most of them came to me with a bare hard drive and a Windows
    2000 or Windows XP sticker. I set them up exactly the way I set up any computer
    from scratch. I load the operating system for which there is a sticker, then
    find drivers for them. Now you ask where did I find the drivers? NOT on the
    Compaq web site. I have been in the computer biz long enough that I can examine
    a motherboard or add-in card and determine which chipset(s) is on it. Then I go
    to the chipset manufacturer's web site and download the drivers, which I then
    install. For motherboards in business computers (NOT Presarios), Compaq uses
    Intel chipsets almost exclusively (Intel 810, 810e, 815, 845 etc). Most, but
    not all, graphics are ATI. Compaq motherboards or Compaq-branded network cards
    use Intel Ethernet chips (82557, 82558 or 82559). The sound chip varies with
    the age of the computer, but it is always a mainstream audio chip. Compaq uses
    modems with various chips, but, once again, drivers are easy to find.

    Based on the above scenario, you can understand why I claim that no Compaq
    hardware is "Compaq locked" or anything of the sort. Instead, Compaq sets up
    many of its Softpaqs so they are keyed to a Compaq identifier in the motherboard
    BIOS. The not-so-special Compaq hardware can be used in any compatible computer
    as long as one knows where to find the generic drivers for the hardware. Are we
    clear on the concept now???? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 25, 2005
  14. pmjester

    Ben Myers Guest

    But I will state without reservation that Compaq SoftPaqs suck! Why? The
    dumbass SoftPaq number does not give you a clue as to what is inside. Dumb,
    dumb, dumber. The Softpaq files have various ways of unpacking themselves, no
    overall consistency. The command line options to override the default unpacking
    (as in Windows Desktop! or current folder) are damned obscure. But it's all
    water over the dam now, and HPaq ain't gonna fix'em.

    This tirade is prompted by three downloads of audio SoftPaqs to install the
    right drivers in a Compaq iPaq desktop PC. FOUR (count 'em) four downloads are
    available when you search for the drivers for the model, but which one works?
    Aha, good question.

    If the stinking little iPaq wasn't so damned difficult to take apart, I would
    have done my usual trick of looking for the audio chip on the motherboard.

    Oh, well. The client is at least paying for my work to set up the thing again.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 5, 2005