    The VGA shows SuperMicro in # and says PEI--IPMI Initialization 00 and BMC IP:0.0.0.0

    The board is not beeping. No LEDs are showing errors. I have done plenty of googling and nothing sounds like my problem.

    Any Ideas?

    Jeff Ravert, Oct 13, 2017
  2. Jeff Ravert

    nightwatch

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2018
    Same issue here except mine is a SuperMicro X11SSH-LN4F and it will boot sometimes all the way through then hang at this.

    I have replaced the RAM and power supply at this point, updated firmware on BIOS all the way, flashed the BIOS and changed different BIOS settings. This machine ran for a year before this issue - any help would be much appreciated.

    nightwatch, Feb 7, 2018
  3. Jeff Ravert

    nightwatch

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2018
    Just adding my 2-cents because I have been working on this issue for at least half a day without any avail (after searching many forums and about pulling out my hair, including 3 calls to SuperMicro) and FINALLY solved the problem, so I wanted to save others from scouring the internet which did not help me.

    Equipment:
    SUPERMICRO 5019S-MN4 1U Rack Server Platform, LGA1151, IntelĀ® C236, DDR4-2133 ECC UDIMM 64GB / 4, SATA RAID 5 / 4, VGA, GbLAN / 4, IPMI, SuperDOM / 2, M.2 / 1, 350W PSU w/ PFC
    INTEL Xeon E3-1225 v5 Quad-Core 3.3 - 3.7GHz TB, HD Graphics P530, LGA 1151, 8 GT/s DMI, 8MB L3 Cache, DDR4, 14nm, 80W, Retail Processor
    X11SSH-LN4F Supermicro Motherboard
    2 x CRUCIAL 16GB Dual-Rank PC4-17000 DDR4 2133MHz CL15 1.2V SDRAM DIMM, ECC Unbuffered Memory
    INTEL 128GB 600p 2280, 770 / 450 MB/s, 3D NAND TLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
    WESTERN DIGITAL 8TB Purple Surveillance WD80PUZX, 5400 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 128MB cache, 3.5-Inch OEM HDD
    MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro 64-bit DVD OEM

    Issue 1: Was hanging / rebooting on PEI - - IPMI Initialization frequently on reboot, would not get past unless I cold booted machine by pulling the plug. (big issue b/c it is a used as a recording server for a camera system)
    Issue 1 Fix (after many tries, including replacing memory & power supply):
    1. Downloaded latest IPMI & BIOS firmware from Supermicro Support (https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/)
    2. Using IPMI web interface (you will need to see what IP it gets on the screen that hangs OR set it to static in BIOS), I logged in with username ADMIN and password ADMIN
    3. Flashed IPMI to update firmware from R1.11 to R1.39
    4. Downloaded and ran Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create a FreeDOS bootable thumbdrive
    5. Unzipped firmware update files to the drive that we just made bootable
    6. Rebooted, pressed delete to enter BIOS
    7. In BIOS, changed BOOT Tab to Dual to be able to boot from USB drive
    8. Hit F4 to save & reboot
    9. Pressed F11 to select bootable thumbdrive, followed README included with BIOS download to updated BIOS from 1.0b to 2.0c
    10. Stopped hanging on PEI - - IPMI screen

    Issue 2: After BIOS firmware update, system would not recognize onboard SSD or boot from it.
    Issue 2 Fix (after calling Supermicro 3 times, on 3rd try I got someone who knew what he was talking about and talked me step-by-step through BIOS changes):
    1. Enter BIOS, go to ADVANCED tab, change NVMe Firmware Source to "AMI Native Support"
    2. Go to BOOT Tab, change Boot Mode Select to UEFI (if your Windows copy is UEFI like mine)
    3. Set Boot Order on this Tab so it sees your disk
    4. Still under BOOT Tab, go to UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities, change UEFI Boot Order #1: to "Windows Boot Manager"
    5. Hit F4 to save & reboot

    After all of that was said and done, I set system to auto reboot using tool called Rebooter (https://www.passmark.com/products/rebooter.htm) and let it reboot over 100 times (so far), and it did not hang once, booting to Windows every time.

    nightwatch, Feb 9, 2018