Won't post - GA-965P-DQ6 Rev 3.3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Scott, Apr 28, 2007.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I Installed CPU (E6700) and cooler, power supply (Seasonic S12-650) , and
    plugged in power connectors (24 pin main, ATX 12V 2x, and PCIE 12V). I also
    plugged in pc speaker.

    I turned on and the board goes into a loop where it emits as series of very
    rapid beeps, followed by a shutdown (case fans stop), restart and repeat
    every 4 seconds or so.

    Cooler fan never gets going (it spins a few times at the start of every
    loop) but I've seen from the Gigabyte board the cooler fan does not
    necessarily start immediately on power up (until bios does a temp check), so
    at least this cooler fan lack of spin activity may be normal?

    Note: my expectation at this point in testing is the board would normally
    give a few long beeps and then "look" for memory. Since the board did not
    have memory or video installed at this point, the expected results of this
    test would have been to only to confirm the board, CPU, and power supply
    were working.

    After this I tried installing memory and video card but received same
    results.

    Anybody have any similar experience or able to offer any advice?

    Scott, Apr 28, 2007

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Update:

    I saw a tip elsewhere that said to try one stick of memory in different
    memory slots to try and get the board to post. I'm using Corsair
    twin2x2048-6400c4. Great tip, as it turned out to work for me.

    Oddly when the single stick of memory is put in the second (orange) position
    of the first bank, I can get the board to post and then get into the bios
    set up. This to me is a very good sign that I can get past this problem.
    (At least we seem to know the CPU, the MB, Video Card, and PS must be OK) So
    far so good, now what?

    I see (from the Corsair Web Site) this Corsair twin2x2048-6400c4 memory has
    latency of 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 V. I'm a novice, but I thought this memory ran
    at higher latencies at 1.8V by default, which is apparently is a (default?)
    system requirement by this MB. I'm wondering if the right thing to now do
    is to adjust the DDR2 overvoltage by +.3V, save the setting, and put both
    memory sticks back in the board. By the way, I'm guessing the two memory
    sticks should normally go in the first position (yellow) on both memory
    banks?.

    At this point I'm thrilled that at least I've got the mb operating (and all
    that means) and I can get into the CMOS set up utility, but any help on what
    CMOS settings I should be modifying for this memory would be GREATLY
    appreciated.

    I know I come off as a ignorant newbie, but I bought this mb with all it's
    touted capabilities for overclocking so I could learn what the tweakers in
    this group know. Unfortunately for me, I thought I could plug in everything
    and just run 'stock' until I learned a little more about this!

    Scott

    Scott, Apr 28, 2007

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    As I mentioned in earlier post, I was able to get board to post with only 1
    memory stick in second slot in first memory bank.

    *update*
    I switched memory sticks and board would not post. (1 bad memory stick from
    Corsair?)

    I put working stick back in, went to bios and changed voltage to +.3 (now
    set to 2.1V). Re-booted fine with previous working stick. NG with other
    stick.

    I set the "system memory multiplier" to manual and set the memory all the
    way down to 533h\mhz and set the voltage to normal. Still, the board with
    post with the "good" memory stick and not post with the "bad?" stick.

    While I've read about this board's rather odd behavior with memory
    requirements, I can't think the results of this test can mean anything other
    than a bad memory stick, right?

    Scott, Apr 29, 2007