Word -- mulitiple installations

Discussion in 'Dell' started by meirman, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. meirman

    meirman Guest

    I have computer illiterate friends with a Dell computer, from about 3
    or 4 years ago more or less. It has win98 and it came with WORD.

    What version of Word would it have come with?**

    Are they allowed according to the license from MS to install that copy
    of Word on a second computer?

    If they were allowed, does Dell include the WORD CD with the computer?
    If not, it uses the registry, right, and wouldn't that be too
    difficult for them to install on a second computer anyhow?

    I think these are simple table that don't require Xcel.

    **(One of them writes required reports for work, with tables, and is
    afraid if they get any other word processor, even another version of
    Word, for a second computer, that she when she goes to the other
    computer to print things, the tables will be all fouled up. (I know
    about printing to a file, but this will just confuse them worse.)

    Meirman

    If emailing, please let me know whether
    or not you are posting the same letter.

    meirman, Oct 20, 2003

  2. meirman

    Steve W. Guest

    The newer versions can read and save in the older formats without a
    problem. However I would guess it has Word 8. But an easy way to check
    is to open word and click Help, about and see what it says. However it
    still is illegal to install the software on the second computer unless
    it is un-installed from the other one first.

    Steve W., Oct 20, 2003

  3. meirman

    meirman Guest

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:01:03 -0400 "Steve W."
    I was able to reach their kid and ask him, and it turns out it has
    Word 97.
    OK, that's the important part. I thought that some/most even
    microsoft software could be run on a PC and on a laptop for one
    license, but maybe that is just the operating systems (prior to XP,
    which doesn't allow that.)

    I hope I can convince her of that. :) She must have gotten burned
    in the past.

    Thanks.

    meirman, Oct 20, 2003
  4. If the Dell shipped with Win98, it could have shipped with either Office97
    (in the early Win98 years) or Office 2000 (in the later Win98 years).

    The Dell would have included the Microsoft Office CD with the system.

    Or it may have been bought with Microsoft Works which is a lower cost
    alternative to Office.

    If the system has Word, then it had Office on it.

    Either way, according to Microsoft's licensing (You're not going to believe
    this), if you have an OEM version that shipped with a computer (such as your
    Dell), then that copy of Office is licensed to THAT system, and that system
    only. The license cannot be transferred to another system. If the original
    system dies for whatever reason, then that license of Office dies with it.

    This disturbing fact came straight from a question asked by a corporate
    customer to a Microsoft License rep during a Microsoft Licensing seminar
    that I attended a few years ago.

    If Word is all you need, then you can buy Word all by itself (at least you
    used to, I'm not sure anymore) for $99 retail.

    Nowadays there are a few alternatives to Microsoft Office that can be
    downloaded for free and work quite well. Do a search for OpenOffice.

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 20, 2003
  5. i agree with tim's very detailed post... but add these things...

    word processors today are bloated with bells and whistles that most people
    never use. the biggest motivation to upgrade the word97 that is already on
    the machine is the same as your concern... to eliminate compatibility issues
    with those using word xp (also known as word 2002 when purchased separately
    from the office xp suite which includes word/excel/outlook and sometimes
    publisher/access/powerpoint). by in large word 97 and word 2000 documents
    will open without any issues in word xp/2002, but other times the word
    xp/2002 user will be prompted to convert the document. the simple solution
    to keep in mind is that if you save your documents in rtf (rich text) format
    instead of doc (word document) format then there really is no
    incompatibility. when you save your document (or save as if previously
    saved) you will see in the save dial box a drop down window where you can
    select the format of the document to be saved. this drop down appears below
    the place when you enter the document name.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 20, 2003
  6. meirman

    goop Guest

    also keep in mind that if you purchased ms office separately, it often will
    be licensed for TWO machines, your regular machine and a portable system.
    that's how mine is, anyway.

    goop, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Two further additions, sort of. Office XP Standard came with
    word/excel/powerpoint/outlook and maybe publisher. Office XP
    Professional added access, and maybe publisher if it wasn't in
    Standard [never paid attention to it, never installed it]. MS Access
    is the reason I've always had to go with the Pro version.

    IME, all newer versions of Word, etc., in Office have never had any
    problems reading documents created with earlier versions - at least
    those designed for Win95/NT4 and subsequent. The problem comes on the
    other end. If someone has used the new features in the latest Word,
    etc., in a document and you try to read it with an earlier version,
    it'll handle most of the document quite nicely, but spit up at the
    parts created with that new feature.

    A company that shall remain nameless has a proprietary
    Management/Accounting system built in Access. When the boss got a new
    laptop with Office XP on it, he immediately went to work creating some
    new stuff in the program using some of the new features in Access.
    Which wouldn't run for the rest of the employees who were still with
    Office 2000 Pro. Ten people who regularly accessed that
    Management/Accounting program had to be upgraded to Office XP Pro.

    Ogden Johnson III, Oct 20, 2003
  8. meirman

    meirman Guest

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:20:02 -0400 "Timothy
    I talked to her son eventually and it woudl have been word97.
    That was another mistake I just made. I kept looking on ebay for
    word97 and kept bumping into word 97. Otoh sometimes shipping is such
    aa big part of the cost, it is better to buy something more expensive,
    like Word 2000 or 2002 or something.
    The first part I can believe, but the last sentence or two, you're
    right, they're hard to believe. These are very moral people who
    intend to obey the contract, and there are still years left in their
    system from their pov. But I wonder how they will handle this when
    the time comes. Somehow it seems to me easier to accept "only one
    computer" than to accept "only one computer until it dies". I knew a
    man who only let one person, himself, wear his clothes, but when he
    died, his wife gave me a bunch of them.

    How does one know when the original system dies? He can replace a bad
    CD drive, a bad harddrive, a bad motherboard ;) . If he does these
    one at a time, isn't it just maintenance? :)
    You mean Word 2003? At the moment, they don't want to spend 99
    dollars, especially for word 97. I'm going to try to convince her
    that she won't have problems using a later version of word, if she
    doesn't use new features. Or for that matter, that she can borrow her
    son's printer and print straight off of the 2nd computer I was
    planning on getting for them (I owe them a lotttt of favors, and this
    is one of the few ways I've thought of to repay them.) (I could even
    get her a second printer, but she plans on doing this on the dining
    room table, then removing it before they have company for dinner,
    which is often. (Eating dinner at their house is a large part of the
    favors I owe them. Yes, I bring wine or something, but I don't think
    that is enough anymore.) So a second printer might just be in the
    way.
    That's a good idea. I'll do that and I'll probably load it on the new
    computer I just mentioned, and I'll mention it, but she's used to
    Word, 56? years old, and may not want to learn something new.

    meirman, Oct 21, 2003
  9. meirman

    meirman Guest

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:53:15 GMT "Christopher
    That sounds easy enough.

    meirman, Oct 21, 2003
  10. meirman

    meirman Guest

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:46:16 GMT "goop"
    In this case it came with the Dell, but she's also said she wants a
    laptop to take to the office. I was still going to get her this,
    becuase it is only 133Mhz, quite cheap, and sufficient, because she hs
    no intention of connecting to the internet, or doing more than typing
    I think. So amazingly enough, that would be two more computers,

    Or going the other direction, I might try to convince her to use dos
    edit or pcwrite on one computer and then insert the file in the middle
    of the word file. It seems to me, it will format it automatically
    then, like the rest of the report.

    meirman, Oct 21, 2003