    cpu fan is a cooler master DI4-7I52A (Easy tune 2960rpm). I have two 12cm
    IN/OUT fans (both at 2500rp) and another outlet fan which sits along a PCI
    slot under my AGP slot.

    Twitchin, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Twitchin

    Bioboffin Guest

    I have a P4 3.0 GHz running at 43 deg idle. I think your temperature may be
    a bit on the high side, but probably not enough to worry about. A lot
    depends on the design of the case, and whether the fans are actually
    sucking/blowing air over the CPU. (In my wife's computer - Gigabyte 8KNXP
    rev 1 and P4 2.8 GHz), the temperature is around 53 deg. idle, and in spite
    of drilling a large hole in the front to accommodate a fan, I have been
    unable to reduce it. The problem is that the CPU is close to the PSU, and
    both are at the 'top' of the (mini tower) case in relatively still air,
    while the fans are half way up.

    My own case is an Antec Sonata which has a much better layout.

    John.

    Bioboffin, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Thats high. I have a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2GHz, overclocked to 3.36GHz, at
    idle it starts at 32C and goes to 39C idle. Never higher.

    Though i have 14 fans.

    Richard Dower, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Twitchin

    Ken Oaf Guest

    Way too hot.

    My p4 2.8 running at 3.06 never gets above 40 using the stock standard cooling
    fan. I also have 2 extra case fans, plus the one in the power supply.

    If you are not already using them, consider using those nice round IDE and
    floppy drive cables instead of the flat ones. The round ones allow a much
    better air flow.

    Ken Oaf, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Twitchin

    Jeff French Guest

    Twitchin,
    If you have a P4 2.8C CPU, then your temperatures are rather high.

    If you have a P4 2.8E CPU, then your temperatures are about normal.

    Jeff

    Jeff French, Aug 19, 2004
  6. FWIW my GA-7VRXP with an Athlon 1400 is currently running idling around
    50C. That's with the case off, three fans and a Zalman copper 'flower'
    heatsink; all recently cleaned.

    I know it's "apples and oranges" but since this processor is rated up to
    90C I've not worried when I've seen it peaking around 65C on full load.
    What do the specs for your processor say on the subject?

    IME round cables do nothing to improve air flow (accessibility is
    another matter). I'd agree with Bioboffin that case design is a far more
    important issue.

    Simon Elliott, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Twitchin

    Wayne Guest

    Case designs always have intrigued me as you would think a fan at the top of
    the case with a rounded surface to discourage things from being placed there
    with a nice large fan blowing all the warm air out would be helpful. the
    other odd think is many case fans in the back blow out. I would think that
    in so the coolest air hits the processor would be best. Dell on many of its
    computers has a shroud around the CPU with a vent in the back so that it
    gets nice cool air from the outside and pretty much is isolated from the
    rest of the case.

    My server case has 2 fans in the rear blowing in and my temps are 31 but
    mine is a 2.4 533chip

    Wayne

    Wayne, Aug 20, 2004
  8. Twitchin

    Bob Davis Guest

    I have the same CPU, assuming you have a 2.8C, and my idle temp is now 41°C
    in a 27° (80°F) room. CPU temp is relative to the ambient temp, don't
    forget. I am running a Zalman 7000Cu HSF, which lowered my temps
    considerably, and have an Antec tower case with four exhaust fans (2 on
    case, 2 on PSU). It's on an 8KNXP v1 mobo.

    According to the MBM5 log I usually hit a high of 50 or 51° every day,
    probably working with PhotoShop or other major app. In winter the temp goes
    down, as I keep the room at around 68°F during those months.

    Bob Davis, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Twitchin

    Twitchin Guest

    Thanks for all your suggestions. I added a couple of extra fans and
    re-applied some arctic silver. 3 days later she's running mid 40's which I'm
    happy with :)

    Twitchin, Aug 23, 2004