    a PC3200 ddr stick of ram at 333 mhz (I mean how would this compare with a
    PC2700 ddr run at the same speed 333).

    Thank you

    roger eroom, Aug 12, 2004

  2. roger eroom

    Geoff Guest

    well, if you had a Mini and a Ferrari
    and you drove the mini at 40mph, then drove the Ferrari at 40mph, what speed
    would you be traveling at with both cars?

    :)

    really though, the only difference would be timings, the pc3200 would run at
    lower timings at 333 than the pc2700 stick i would think (well you could run
    it at)

    Geoff, Aug 12, 2004

  3. roger eroom

    Ben Pope Guest

    It depends on the memory modules.

    The ratings of PC3200 and PC2700 relate to a *maximum* clock of 200MHz and
    166Mhz respectively. You can of course, run the PC3200 at lower than it's
    maximum rated speed.

    However, when you start taking into account timings, it could be possible
    for very good PC2700 to outperform very bad PC3200 if the PC2700 can reach
    tight timings and the PC3200 cannot - this would be a pretty rare situation
    I'd expect. Given that you'd be running the PC3200 slower than it's rated
    speed, you can often tighten the timings a bit.

    Short answer: could perform marginally better, and very unlikely to perform
    worse.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Aug 12, 2004
  4. roger eroom

    roger eroom Guest

    Thank you guys for your short and clear answers. Have you ever heard
    something about this memory I'm planning to buy:

    Geil Value
    512 MB DDR SDRAM
    / PC3200
    / 400 MHz / 2.55 - 2.85 V / 5 ns