    I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
    recovery CD's.

    TIA

    JustMe, May 17, 2004

  2. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Thanks, but would you know what software they are using... e.g. Ghost (I
    know it's not) or is it some proprietary software.

    Regards

    JustMe, May 17, 2004

  3. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    I have both the Win2K and XP Home CD's from Dell... isn't it considered a
    recovery CD... it seems to work only on Dell computers. My apologies... I am
    quite a newbie.

    TIA

    JustMe, May 17, 2004
  4. Dell doesn't supply recovery CDs.

    You get full installation CDs for everything - including Windows XP - that
    was installed on your computer.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, May 17, 2004
  5. JustMe

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS disc, then
    separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 17, 2004
  6. The Windows CDs are locked to the BIOS of Dell computers; they will not
    install on any other computer.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, May 17, 2004
  7. what dell calls their 'recovery cd' is a full version of windows xp (or 2k
    if that is what you bought) with one basic difference... the setup program
    checks the bios to see if you are running it on a dell branded computer. if
    it passes this check then it install like any other full version of windows.
    it is not just tied to your particular model dell. it will work on any dell
    (license issue aside). i don't know the specific details of their xp cd, but
    with the 2k cd you can run the makeboot utility from the cd and create four
    floppy disks to boot from and start the setup program. replacing the
    setupldr.bin file on the first floppy with the generic one from a regular
    copy of 2k would make the cd work in any brand system.

    Christopher Muto, May 17, 2004
  8. Indeed although there is a widely available "crack" or, for want of a better
    word, "patch" for the Dell Win2K CD that enables installation on any pc.

    Not sure whether the script kiddies have managed to do the same to Dell's
    WinXP CDs yet.

    Glenn Banwell, May 17, 2004
  9. JustMe

    Tom Scales Guest

    They aren't using one. It's a standard XP install disk. Put it in, XP
    installs. It has an 'enhancement' where it doesn't have to be activated on
    a Dell box, which I love.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 17, 2004
  10. i have found that activation is required with the dell windows xp 'recovery'
    cd in the following circumstances: when not installed on the same model
    dell that the machine shipped with (ie older dells, or if cd came with
    latititude then activation is required when installed on inspiron, etc),
    that it requires activation if installed as an upgrade or if installed when
    booted from floppies (had to boot from floppies with an dimension lxxxcx
    that refused to boot from the xp cd despite its ability to boot from a
    symantec antivirus cd).

    Christopher Muto, May 17, 2004
  11. JustMe

    David Guest

    As has been said before...it is not LICENSED and will require
    activation BUT the dell os cd WILL install on any pc regardless of
    manufacturer. The dell cd is a full windows oem cd that wont require
    activation on a dell pc and is only licensed for the pc it was
    purchased with.
    Dave

    David, May 18, 2004
  12. They don't - at least not for general release.

    I have seen notebook systems returned from Dell with CD-Rs containing an
    image backup used to restore the system - those have been made with
    Symantec's DriveImage.

    It may be those aren't intended for general consumption, but I've seen them
    come back more than once with a repaired notebook (usually the Compal-built
    notebooks - 1100, 5100, 8500, 8600).

    Edward J. Neth, May 18, 2004
  13. JustMe

    Tom Almy Guest

    The Dell Website says that activation is required if you don't boot from
    the CD or don't perform a full install (example -- upgrades). I used a
    CD from a Dimension to do a full install on an Optiplex and didn't need
    to activate.

    Tom Almy, May 18, 2004
  14. interesting. they clearly have more than one verson of their xp cd. i
    suspect there are also differences between their xp home and xp pro cds. i
    reloaded a latitude c400 that arrived defective with its own xp restore cd
    and it required activation. i used that same cd to test out how xp would
    run on an old inspiron 3800 and that machine did not require activation. go
    figure. at least with win2k the behavior was predictable.

    Christopher Muto, May 18, 2004
  15. JustMe

    Tom Almy Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    My Windows XP CD that came with my Inspiron system was labelled Notebook
    or Inspiron, I'm not sure, but it was different than tha desktop
    systems. The Optiplex CD appears to be the same as the Dimension CD. Of
    course activation is no big deal if it is asked for since the code is on
    a sticker attached to the system!

    Tom Almy, May 19, 2004
  16. activation is automatic via the web the first time... but after it has been
    done once it then requires a call to microsoft to obtain and activation
    code... and though i have not had to do it many times i can say that it is
    indeed a hassle taking over 1/2 hour each time. making a problematic hard
    disk much more than merely a miserable experience but a huge waste of time.

    Christopher Muto, May 19, 2004