    impressed. Microsoft clearly did a great job.

    I was skeptical about how I would like Vista. If it's as good as
    Office 2007 I may just wait to get my laptop with Vista installed.

    journey, Dec 2, 2006

  2. Re: "I was skeptical about how I would like Vista. If it's as good as
    Office 2007 I may just wait to get my laptop with Vista installed."

    I think that a better option is to buy right about NOW, a machine with
    XP and ALSO a FREE upgrade to Vista early next year. Best of both worlds.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 2, 2006

  3. journey

    journey Guest

    That's probably a good idea. I am hoping for a $750 off coupon, and
    will probably buy at that time. I would prefer the 12" XPS over the
    1405, but XPS systems rarely have coupons or incentives, so I'll
    probably go with a 1405, maxed out in specs... I think I will go for
    the faster hard drive rather than larger capacity; I do wonder though
    if the faster hard drive will drain the battery faster.

    journey, Dec 2, 2006
  4. journey

    RnR Guest

    Check the electrical specs of each hard drive and that should help
    you.

    RnR, Dec 2, 2006
  5. journey

    Tom Lake Guest

    With my luck, though, as soon as I buy a Core 2 Duo, the Core 2 Duo Quad (or
    whatever it'll be called) will come out! 8^(

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Dec 2, 2006
  6. journey

    Bill Guest

    I know this doesn't help but MS was giving away free Office and Vista
    business versions. Its now ended :-(
    http://www.powertogether.com/

    I managed to get in on the Office 2007

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 2, 2006
  7. As you note, the really good Dell deals almost always exclude the XPS
    line. If you want a small screen, the 1405 is the next choice from
    Dell. If there is a $750 off coupon (I'd say it's about an even chance,
    such coupons were offered twice last year), you have to get the total
    price up to $1,500 anyway to be able to use the coupon, so maybe you can
    get the large AND fast hard drive. As to the battery drain rate of the
    drives, you really have to compare two specific drives. Some larger
    drives are also higher power, but not always ... you can find 4,200 rpm
    drives that use more power than 7,200 rpm drives. Each drive model
    stands on it's own, and since you don't know the exact model drive, you
    have to make the decision with less than complete information. But the
    DIFFERENCE between two drives is not likely to be all that significant.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Actually the Quad processor is out now (desktop only, there is no laptop
    version yet), but it's over $1,000.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 2, 2006
  9. journey

    RnR Guest

    Exactly what impressed you? I'm curious.

    RnR, Dec 3, 2006
  10. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Me too. I'm not starting a flame -- seriously curious. I ran the beta for
    months and gave up. Worst user interface I've ever seen.

    Who's idea was it to get rid of menus?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 3, 2006
  11. journey

    journey Guest

    Hi Tom and RnR,

    First off, I should say that I only had a limited amount of time with
    it and used it on Dell's 24" monitor, so I may have had a very
    different experience on a smaller screen.

    Some pros:

    - There isn't just a single static set of toolbars with icons and
    functionality designed for all kinds of tasks done with a document.

    - Instead, there is a set of "toolbars" (if that's what they are
    still called) which differed based on what was being done with the
    document at the time. Therefore more relevant functions are available
    by function being done.

    - The set of "toolbars" for a function seem well thought out with a
    lesser learning curve for someone new to Office, compared to someone
    who spent a lot of time customizing and recustomizing toolbars after
    learning what icons do etc (i.e. power use). Office 2007 seems to
    present a non power user with the set of icons and functions all
    together that make it more intuitive.

    - I love how I can select text in a document, and this very
    translucent set of formatting fuctions shows up and if you move your
    mouse over it you get quick access to formatting features such as
    Bold, Italic, Font size and type, bullets, etc. I don't know if this
    is customizable because underline is missing.

    - A lot more documents can show up in the "recent documents" list.
    For years I have been irritated that MS only allowed up to 15 or 16.
    Finally, the number is 50, and how it's implemented makes it easy to
    use and identify a document.

    Those are just my first impressions. I don't know how easy it is to
    record macros, I don't know whether or how much the functions
    displayed are customizeable, etc. If they are, then it's even better
    for a "power user", but if they aren't, then it might be an advantage
    to a business help desk area which would be able to support a single
    non-customizable interface.

    I was impressed that Microsoft, the clear monopoly in this area with
    little competition, continued to innovate, and I couldn't understand
    why. Then I realized that in order to maintain earnings, Microsoft
    probably has to innovate with itself. Windows XP and from Office 97
    up would seem good enough for most people (including me) so I think
    they really need to provide compelling reasons for people to upgrade
    (including me).

    I am happy with Office 97 right now. I like it better than subsequent
    versions of Office. Office 2007 took a significantly longer period to
    load on a system that was better than mine, while Office 97 loads in a
    flash on my bloated P4 3ghz XP system.

    I really dislike Internet Explorer 7 and how it is not very
    customizable. The only thing I like about it is that I can click on a
    ..exe file and be able to run it immediately rather than dowload it to
    my system that Mozilla requires. It's possible that if I would have
    more time to use Office 2007 I might become irritated that it's not
    customizable.

    Whether I have the chance to find out depends on whether I can get the
    same great education discounts that I have had in the past. If I
    can't, I'm not going to fork over $300+ dollars for the new version of
    Office.

    Those are my ramblings on my first impression with Office 2007. Maybe
    it will spark addictional opinions.

    journey, Dec 3, 2006
  12. journey

    RnR Guest

    Thanks for your feedback. I have never tried it so it's all new to
    me. I've been using Office 2003 and for my needs it's fine. I really
    don't see a need to upgrade tho it may not be as good as 2007. Same
    thing with Vista as I use XP with a lot of 3rd party software so most
    of what Vista can do, I already can do now. I'll probably end up
    using Vista on at least one pc that I purchase next year so I'll learn
    from it but otherwise I don't see any real need to upgrade at this
    time. Later tho, may change this.

    RnR, Dec 3, 2006