    I just came back after being away a few months and this board is dead.
    I also see very few reviews of Soyo boards on NewEgg. Does this mean
    that everyone has lost their Soyo religion?

    RWP, Oct 25, 2003

  2. RWP

    Lane Lewis Guest

    I have an older Tisu Soyo board and though the board is of excellent quality
    the follow thru with the boards minor failings was totally neglected by
    Soyo. Its a shame that the top notch engineering that went into the board
    was undone by what probably was marketing dicisions. Perhaps Soyo didn't
    learn this lesson with their newer boards and became part of the decline of
    home made computers in general.

    Lane

    Lane Lewis, Oct 25, 2003

  3. RWP

    Tim S. Guest

    I'm still with SOYO after all these years and useing a new SY-P4I875P
    without problems...

    Tim the Fireman in Phoenix

    Tim S., Oct 25, 2003
  4. RWP

    Lankshire Guest

    Lane,

    I also have the TISU and wanted to know if you've found any way to sync the
    memory speed to the FSB? I have PC150 memory and have the FSB overclocked
    to 150 MHz also. Unfortunately, I have not found any way for the memory to
    go faster than 133.

    Lankshire, Oct 25, 2003
  5. RWP

    Lane Lewis Guest

    Crossposted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (can anyone answer the above
    question)

    I have yet to try going over 133mhz. I might if I get brave in the next few
    days try it though. I'm using a Celeron 1gig pushed to 133fsb but I had up
    the voltage to 1.7 volts so I left it at that. It's stable as a rock and
    runs cool and fast enough for what I do on a computer, though I wouldn't
    mind trying a 1.4 Celeron :O)

    Lane

    Lane Lewis, Oct 26, 2003
  6. RWP

    Lankshire Guest

    I've got mine PIII 1.4 GHz Tualatin (512Kb L2) overclocked to 1575 MHz
    (10.5x150) on the Soyo TISU. I've had to up the voltage a little, but it
    runs complete stable. A huge heatsink and fan helps. Have played the
    UT2003 for hours without a crash. My system is probably as fast or faster
    than any PIII system out there, but to get the FSB and memory speed in sync
    would really add a performance boost to this machine.

    If I can't get the memory speed part 133 MHz, does anyone know of a Tualatin
    motherboard that would allow me to sync the FSB and memory speed when
    overclocking? Thanks.

    Lankshire, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Why do you think the memory is not going past 133 MHz?

    Just speculating here but I suspect you're misinterpreting the memory
    'speed' setting which I suggest is telling you the 'stock' speed 'rating'
    of the RAM. I.E. the 815E chipset allows the memory to be 'the same' as the
    FSB or -+ 33 MHz (depending on the FSB) from it and they're just putting it
    in terms they think is easier to 'understand'. E.g. "I've got PC100, PC133,
    etc. memory" and, of course, that IS the speed it would be running at if
    you didn't change the FSB to non-standard.

    Take a look at the memory benchmark on this review page.
    http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Motherboards/soyo-sy-tisu(4).shtml

    The memory throughput scales with the FSB speed, which indicates it's
    running at the FSB speed and not 'stuck' at 133 Mhz.

    I don't think it's even possible to UN'sync' the memory on an 815E chipset.

    David Maynard, Oct 27, 2003
  8. RWP

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    The Asus TUSL2-C is a motherboard many people like, and which has good
    overclocking capabilities for a PIII board.

    Regards,

    Arthur Hagen, Oct 27, 2003
  9. RWP

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    chipset.

    Not sure about the 815E, but I've seen 815EP boards that allow you to choose
    between 1:1, 4:3 and auto. If left at auto, the bios will switch to 4:3
    when exceeding the SPD values.

    It took me a while to figure that one out on my old system with Mushkin rev
    3 150Mhz 2-2-2 "certified" memory -- it turns out that the SPD only had
    values up to 140MHz -- if I went above 140 (even to 141), the system would
    slow down. According to the Mushkin web site, it's a "feature" that they
    don't register the RAM for higher than 140MHz in the SPD, to protect
    technoblind people from messing up their system. Uhm, and why would they be
    buying overclocking RAM "certified" for 150MHz at more than twice the price,
    then? Next time I shopped ram, I dropped Mushkin.

    Regards,

    Arthur Hagen, Oct 27, 2003
  10. Yes, but that is not 'un'synced in the meaning the original poster was
    using. They were speaking in terms of it remaining at 133 Mhz when the FSB
    was 134, 135, 136, 137,... 150, 151, 152... etc. I.E. not in synchrony with
    increasing FSB. What you're describing is the multiplier of synchrony and
    the system choosing one based on what the RAM says, via SPD, it can handle.

    Chose 1:1 and it won't do that.

    David Maynard, Oct 27, 2003
  11. RWP

    Lankshire Guest

    Thanks for the response. I suspect that it is just Soyo's BIOS option that
    is limited. The option in the BIOS is to either run the memory at "100" or
    "133". The memory benchmarks that I've run pretty much confirms that the
    memory speed has not increased with the increase in FSB. The board has 1
    MHz increments in FSB available and I have tested the settings from 133 to
    150 FSB. There is no real corresponding increase in memory speed as I
    raised the FSB. I just assumed that the 815EP chipset can run the memory
    asynchronously just like many VIA Athlon chipsets and Soyo opted to not let
    users run the memory beyond 133.

    I believe Soyo has just "dummy-proofed" the BIOS option. Unless someone has
    hacked the TISU bios, I think I might need another 815EP motherboard with
    better BIOS options.

    Lankshire, Oct 27, 2003
  12. It's the normal options for an 815 chipset which Intel states "supports
    both PC100 and PC133 memory technologies." And that's what it's asking you:
    You got PC100 or PC133? But it can only set the multiplier so if you take
    the FSB off standard then the memory clock is going to follow.
    With what memory benchmark and what were the options and numbers?

    Did you look at the benchmark link I provided? It was benchmarks for THAT
    board, the soyo TISU, and it showed memory speed increase with the
    increased FSB.

    No. The 815 can't run the memory asynchronously.
    I don't think you're going to find such a thing because I still think
    you're misinterpreting what the setting means.

    David Maynard, Oct 28, 2003
  13. RWP

    farmuse Guest

    have bought several soyo boards, all run fine ~ thats all I use at
    the moment. If not Soyo then I would use Abit ~

    farmuse, Oct 28, 2003
  14. RWP

    Lankshire Guest

    I used the Sandra memory benchmarks. I did not get nearly the difference in
    numbers than what the benchmarks in your links had. Of course I was not
    going from 133 to 166 FSB. I was going from 133 to 150. I just assumed
    that the small increase was a result of the faster pure MHz of the CPU. If
    you're saying the i815EP chipset can't run the memory asynchronously than it
    must be syncing with the FSB. Thanks for clearing it up

    Do you know what the divider is for the AGP and PCI speeds? At what speeds
    are the AGP and PCI running when overclocking the FSB to 150?

    Lankshire, Oct 29, 2003
  15. Right. It isn't going to be much because that's only 12.5% faster on the
    FSB anyway.
    Depends on whether your motherboard lets you set them manually or does it
    'auto'. Mine does it auto. At any rate, if it's set 'right' then the PCI
    divider would be 4 with the AGP at 2 and since there are no 'standard'
    speeds above 133 for socket370 they'll most likely stay at those values
    unless your board has some custom PCI divider setting above 4. So just
    multiply them out. At a 150 Mhz FSB the PCI would be 37.5MHz and the AGP
    would be running 75Mhz.

    Hey, if ya want to hear about a really stupid BIOS you should see mine. It
    has a 'yes/no' setting for "Automatically set DIMM/PCI Speed?" but not a
    blessed thing to manually set them with if you say "no" and I have no idea
    what the heck no auto with no manual settings would mean. Random? =:O)

    David Maynard, Oct 29, 2003