WPA on an X31?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Emma, Nov 20, 2011.

  1. Emma

    Emma Guest

    I have bought a refurb thinkpad x31 running winXP for my daughter for
    xmas but have found the internal wifi card wont connect to my router
    when it's on WPA encrypted security, my Lenovo T400s has no problems
    with WPA so it's not my router!

    I downgraded my security to WEP and have no problems on either
    computer, but this then leaves me a little upset as I'd like my
    daughter to be able to use her laptop not only at hoem ro in other
    less secure places, but also at my parents' house and they are
    reluctant to downgrade to WEP encryption.

    I've installed the latest driver for the IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini
    PCI Adapter, and even tried rolling back to an earlier version of the
    driver too. still have problems. the company who sold me the laptop
    told me it was WPA compatible and are standing by that claim too as
    the literature for the wifi card says it IS WPA compatible.... but
    it's obviously not. mind you this is the same company that told me to
    contact my service provider about the security settings of my router
    so there we go!

    how can I make this work please?I have no clue about fiddling with
    BIOS and would rather not do that if I don't have to.
    thanks if you got this far ;)

    Emma, Nov 20, 2011

  2. Have you tried WPA2? If that works, you'll have better security on your
    machine, too. On my R51 series, I'm running WPA2-PSK/AES with a
    63-character passphrase. :) Works just fine on this Linksys E2000 router.
    HTH.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 21, 2011

  3. Emma

    Emma Guest

    thanks for the reply, my brother tried WPA2 whn I took it to his house
    and handed it to him with my usual request of "pleeeease fiiiix!"...
    no joy :(

    Emma, Nov 23, 2011
  4. Emma

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Are you trying to connect with Thinkvantage Access Connections? If not then
    I suggest that you go to Lenovo's site and get the latest version of both
    the driver and Access Connections.

    (Right-click the Wireless Network Connection in 'Network Connections' -
    'Control Panel' and click 'Properties'. Make sure "Let Windows Manage
    this...." is unticked.)

    Best of luck, that's a fine machine. I have an X32 as my most portable
    portable. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."