Writer Needs Help

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alek Trishan, May 17, 2014.

  1. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    nospam has written on 5/17/2014 7:08 PM:
    She says she has insurance.
    Smaller? :) Apple sells a MacBook with a screen that's scarcely bigger
    than the one on my 30-year-old Keypro 10!!!

    Alek Trishan, May 18, 2014

  2. Alek Trishan

    Tim Streater Guest

    Why do you wonder why? Doing backups with TM is so easy, as is
    restoring files when you need to, that anyone *not* doing it has to be
    a loony.

    Tim Streater, May 18, 2014

  3. Alek Trishan

    Savageduck Guest

    It seems obvious that your writer friend has the MBP 17'' as a *back up
    Apple typewriter* for her MBP 15'' Retina and has never considered data
    back up.

    Savageduck, May 18, 2014
  4. Alek Trishan

    Your Name Guest

    Depends on how much damage has been done - if the battery has damaged
    the connectors on the motherboard, the case structure, etc., then it's
    possible that it's almost cheaper to just buy a good second-hand or
    even new laptop, especially once you total up the cost of the parts and
    the labour.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  5. Alek Trishan

    Your Name Guest

    Greedy insurance companies will usually take the cheapest route, if
    they don't wriggle out of paying entirely by utilising purposely
    included legal loopholes in their small print ("You were were a blue
    shirt on the day, so we can't pay out"). :-(

    The cheapest MacBook Air does have only an 11" screen, next up from
    that is the 13" MacBook Air or Pro. Depending on the applications she
    uses, you could go cheaper and smaller to an iPad Air or iPad Mini as
    the backup device.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  6. Alek Trishan

    Your Name Guest

    Time Machine is the software Apple includes on their computers for
    doing automatic backups to external drives.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  7. Alek Trishan

    Your Name Guest

    Not necessarily. Time Machine is one tool, but isn't be the best option
    for everyone. Someone might be backing up to "cloud" systems instead,
    or using another piece of software / manually.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  8. Alek Trishan

    Tim Streater Guest

    Yes. Sorry. I suppose what I meant is that if you're doing nothing
    (usually because the issue doesn't seem to occur to people), then TM
    plus an external drive is a quick and easy way out which doesn't
    require much in the way of planning etc.

    As long as folk don't view backup as archiving. For my valuable stuff,
    I let TM have it, plus a manual copy onto SWMBO's Mini, a copy onto two
    USB sticks, and into Dropbox.

    Tim Streater, May 18, 2014
  9. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    Savageduck has written on 5/17/2014 7:43 PM:
    Nope! She backs up to a 3TB HD and, I believe also to the cloud.

    She needs a hardware backup for the times her main computer is in the shop.

    Alek Trishan, May 18, 2014
  10. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    Your Name has written on 5/17/2014 9:50 PM:
    Can't she run the 17" without a battery, from (as you would say) the mains?

    Alek Trishan, May 18, 2014
  11. Alek Trishan

    Guest Guest

    she can but it will be roughly half its normal speed.

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  12. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    nospam has written on 5/18/2014 2:26 PM:
    Really? What causes that?

    Alek Trishan, May 18, 2014
  13. Alek Trishan

    Guest Guest

    according to apple,

    If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the
    computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents
    the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C
    adapter alone can provide.

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  14. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    nospam has written on 5/18/2014 3:37 PM:
    So the AC adapter is deliberately crippled so they can sell more
    batteries???

    I suppose it won't affect my friend who probably won't notice the change
    in speed. :)

    Alek Trishan, May 18, 2014
  15. Alek Trishan

    Guest Guest

    how do you get that?

    normally, the power consumption of the macbook is well under what the
    power adapter can provide. however, it's possible that a peak burst
    could momentarily push it beyond, in which case the battery will fill
    the void until it drops back down. it's just a brief spike.

    if there's no battery, it would shut off in that situation, which is
    what they want to avoid, no matter what. users do not like when
    computers shut down suddenly for apparently no reason.

    the computer is designed to run with a battery installed, so this is a
    huge edge case anyway.
    depends what she does with it. since you say she's a writer, chances
    are it will not come close to hitting peak power.

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  16. Alek Trishan

    Your Name Guest

    Probably, but again it depends on exactly what damage may have been
    done internally and need fixing.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  17. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    nospam has written on 5/18/2014 4:07 PM:
    I never heard of that with a PC. Apparently, either PC OSes operate
    differently or the PC laptop manufacturers supply an adapter that can
    handle anything thrown at it.

    Can you tell me what kind of program might cause a spike in power needed?

    Thanks.

    Alek Trishan, May 19, 2014
  18. Alek Trishan

    Guest Guest

    apparently they don't.

    <http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT075965>
    Newer ThinkPads make use of high performance CPUs that may require
    more power than what the 65W adapter can provide while also
    supporting USB, Optical and other attached devices, especially in
    docked configurations.  To prevent the potential for sudden system
    shut down if the power demand exceeds what the adapter can supply,
    the maximum clock speed may be limited when the system is operated on
    the 65W AC adapter and no battery is installed.
    3d gaming.

    Guest, May 19, 2014
  19. Alek Trishan

    Alek Trishan Guest

    nospam has written on 5/18/2014 7:48 PM:
    From the same source:

    "Solution: If maximum frequency operation is preferred in such
    situations, a 90W AC adapter should be used. "
    I can assure you that she will never ever if-she-lives-to-be-150 be a 3D
    gamer. :)

    Any others?

    Alek Trishan, May 19, 2014
  20. Alek Trishan

    Guest Guest

    which costs more. most of the time 65w is sufficient, especially when
    it's extremely rare that a laptop is used without a battery. it's an
    edge case.

    anyway, macbook power adapters tell the macbook how much power they
    have, so it's possible that a lower end macbook could avoid throttling
    the cpu when a higher power adapter is used, but i don't know if it
    actually does that.

    also keep in mind that the batteries are now internal anyway so it's
    pretty much guaranteed that they'll never be used without a battery
    (not that it was particularly common before that).
    sure. basically anything that cranks the fans, but it's not just
    running a particular app that does it.

    it's more along the lines of the above scenario, where not only is the
    cpu/gpu doing a lot, but the optical drive is in use and there are
    various attached devices, such as bus-powered hard drives, the display
    is at full brightness, music is playing, etc.

    it all adds up.

    Guest, May 19, 2014