    just fried? If it is I would rather place the $'s towards a new laptop.
    Thanks for any help that can be offered.

    Alan in Boise

    Alan in Boise, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Alan in Boise

    Ray Jenkins Guest

    For whatever my experience is worth, I've had reasonable success working on
    laptops. Including a Presario 1240. If I were you I'd give it a shot, since
    there's nothing to lose.

    I know a guy in Long Island who supplies parts and has even done repair for
    me. If you need the name I'll try to look it up.

    Ray Jenkins, Jun 25, 2003

  3. No fuses, sorry. What's likely happened is the DC/DC Sub-Board is
    fried. It's possible that the tip&ring was different. Tip&Ring you
    ask? Look at the barrel connector. Tip is the inside, ring is the
    silver outside. Mine is +tip, -ring. There's usually a little symbol
    on the adaptor where the voltage/amperage is show.

    - ---C*--- + would be - ring, + tip.

    + ---C*--- - would be + ring, - tip.

    Or too many amps.

    Anyway. If your laptop has a dedicated sub-board, try looking on eBay
    for one. Great place to get new or used pieces for laptops.

    If it's your mainboard, it's not going to be cheap.

    Stromm Sarnac, Jun 26, 2003