    This mothorboard is advertised as supporting that range of cpu.

    Will the misreporting of the cpu actually affect performance and if so is
    there anything I can do? Any suggestions greatly appreciated

    desert, Dec 3, 2003

  2. desert

    Brenden Will Guest

    Make sure you not over clocking your memory or you video card. These are the
    main to reasons for a system not to post.

    Also try updating the bios to the latest. If all else fails? Refer to your
    owners manual.

    Brenden

    Brenden Will, Dec 6, 2003

  3. desert

    Dimitris Guest

    The XP 2600+ has an FSB of 266(133x2) that means that the FSB clock at
    motherboard must be set at 133. Set it first to 100, then boot, enter
    bios , do Load bios default or Load fail-safe defaults, then power
    off, set it to 133 and try to boot. if that doesnt work, try the
    jumper that clears cmos, the put the jumper back to its position.

    Dimitris, Dec 7, 2003
  4. desert

    Dimitris Guest

    Well to correct my self there are two types of Athlon XP 2600+. The
    ones with FSB 266(133x2) and the ones with 333(166x2). You probably
    have one with FSB333, so you must set the motherboard clock at 166Mhz.
    if it can support 166mhz. Also your memory dimms must be PC2700 or
    higher(PC3200) in order to work correctly at 166mhz. From what can i
    infer by your symptoms your memory dimms are PC1600(100x2) thats why
    the system doesnt boot when you set it at 133.Or most unlikely there
    is a power issue and you should get a stronger PSU(>=450Watt depending
    on other hardware install on your machine).
    Conclusion:
    Steps you should take:
    1. Determine the FSB of your processor(either 266 or 333)
    2. Check if your motherboard supports that FSB(it may support 2600+
    only with 266FSB that is 133(x2DDR))
    3. Check your memory dimms.

    333FSB proccessor goes with 166mhz motherboard and PC2700 or higher
    ddr dimms
    266FSB proccessor goes with 133mhz motherboard and PC2100 or higher
    ddr dimms.

    Dimitris, Dec 8, 2003