Wrong processor speed showing.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Alan, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I've recently bought an Acer laptop with a AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
    processor running XP home. When I start the laptop from battery using
    the "laptop power scheme" the processor speed in XP system properties
    shows as 487Mhz. Running "PC-Wizard" is shows the processor frequency
    as 786Mhz. If I start the laptop with AC power and change the power
    scheme to "normal" then XP reads as 786Mhz and running a process
    benchmark in pc-wizard is gives the frequency as 1786Mhz. I've tried
    altering the power scheme but can't get it to show any higher but
    reading on AMD website the 2400+ should have a speed of about 2Ghz.

    The bios does show the processor as being a 2400+.

    Obviously I don't need it to run at full speed all the time but would
    like to know if the processor can work at the speed it should do.

    My sister has a laptop (different make and model though) with a Athlon
    2000+ which gives a maximum speed of 1.66Ghz so surely mine can go
    higher?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Alan, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Alan

    Phil Guest

    I have one with an AMD XP-M 1600+. I've noticed that, too -- but the
    computer is running at normal speed.

    I'd not give it a second thought.

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 10, 2003

  3. I think it might be to do with the processor changing it's processor speed
    (if it's like the intel ones) contiunously to save power - if it's something
    it still does when on AC power, then it's going to confuse any benchmarks,
    but would still go at full speed if it needed to. Just a guess.

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Alan

    Quaoar Guest

    There is no problem. Go to AMD's site and download their little
    dashboard application that shows in real time what is happening to the
    CPU frequency as your activity changes. It's an interesting display of
    load management by AMD.

    Quaoar, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Alan

    M. Carrick Guest

    (Alan) wrote in
    <SNIP>

    My Fujitsu also runs at 1/2 speed when on battery - this is normal.

    M. Carrick, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Alan

    FulanoDeTal Guest

    Can I get on the wagon here? On my ThinkPad A31p with 1.7 GB, it will
    only run at 1.2 GB when the battery is not installed, according to
    AIDA32. Any suggestions? TIA.

    FulanoDeTal, Dec 11, 2003