Wrong temperature readings

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Gil-galad, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Gil-galad

    Gil-galad Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 2500+ Barton at stock settings on a Gigabyte GA 7VT880 Motherboard.

    The problem is, I don't know if my CPU is running too hot because I don't
    know what the exact load temperature is. With Prime 95 the highest
    temperature reported by EasyTune4 (whose temperatures are the same of the
    BIOS) is 55°C.
    MBM5 and other utilities say that the highest temperature with Prime 95 is
    60°C.

    It's very important for me to know which temperature to trust because I'd
    like to overclock my Processor but I will do it only if I know the right
    tmperatures.

    I have the feeling that the temperatures reported by the utilities like MBM5
    are right, and they are high because I've heard that Gigabyte boards usually
    report temperatures higer than the real value by about 10 °C.

    But what about the Bios?? Is the Bios reading wrong temps? Is it possible
    that the Bios reads the temperature from the socket sensor and MBM5 directly
    from the on DIE sensor? The motivation for this could be the fact that the
    MBM5 temps rise very quickly when Prime95 is started, and sink quickly when
    it's stopped. At the contrary, the temps read by EasyTune4 sink much slower,
    perhaps because it reads the temperature of the air trapped under the CPU
    which logically takes more time to cool down. What do you think about it?

    Thanks in advance for your answers

    Gil-galad

    Gil-galad, Jul 20, 2004