    places to buy something like this? I see a couple on eBay, but was
    wondering if there were other options. Thank you.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Paul

    Bill Guest

    Depends on if your motherboard can handle it or not. 1.8 GHz Durons
    are going for $50.00 at Newegg.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    What MB (make/model)? As long as you know what you're doing (or can get
    someone to help you that does) you can install almost any K7 cpu in any K7
    MB and make it work. One thing I will tell you. The old tbird 1400 isn't
    anywhere close to your best option. See link below

    Wes Newell, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Wes, thanks for the reply. I have an ASUS A7V133 MB version 1.05 (no
    ending dot). According to the ASUS website, this version of the MB
    won't take anything faster than the 1400. I'm not saying it's
    impossible, but I don't want to buy something that may or may not work
    or is going to be a hassle. I was hoping to find a site somewhere on
    the internet to find things like this for sale, but so far I haven't
    found much.

    Paul, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/8sl2a
    says it can use an XP2100+ as long as you have BIOS 1007 or higher.

    VaVoom, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    Forget the Asus website. It's wrong. Just like the Abit website says a
    1400 is the fastest cpu you can put in the KT7 (KT133) MB. You can put
    anything you want in it. I don't know what you want, but if you want the
    max you can get out of it then get an XP-M or any other unlocked Barton
    core cpu. Or, you can use any multiplier locked cpu as long as it has a
    default 133MHz FSB. IOW's, a locked 2400+ XP will run at 13x133 (2000MHz),
    the default speed. An unlocked 2400+ will also default to 2000MHz, but the
    bios will set it to 20x100. This you can adjust the multiplier to 17x133
    (2266MHz) without mods. Here's a quick chart of cpu's that will work at or
    above there rated speeds.

    Locked
    Any Athlon XP up to 2400+ and the 2600+/266 (but not 2600+/333)
    Unlocked
    Any of them. You can set the fsb an dmultiplier to whatever you want. All
    XP-M's and MP's are unlocked. As are all other XP's prior to about 0338
    manufacture date.

    One that won't run at default speeds.
    Any multiplier locked /333 or /400 models made after 0338.

    Don't believe me, just do a search. You'll find idiots quoting the Asus
    website, but you'll also find people that are actually running the other
    cpu's. Believe them. There's no magic to it.

    Wes Newell, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    This would be true if my MB version was 1.05., but mine is 1.05 (no
    ending dot). From what I've been able to read, the ending dot is
    significant.

    Paul, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    That's what I'm reading too.

    http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/cpu/ has a couple charts which say...
    A7V133 1.00 - 1.05 ( without trailing dot!) can use Athlon XP Palomino
    1500+ to 2100+ (Type H) as long as you set the multiplier ( FID ) for
    this CPU manually via DIP-Switch ( JUMPERMODE ), else the system might
    not boot.

    VaVoom, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    You're the guy that recently told us "Personally, I use Dot 3 brake
    fluid" to lube fan bearings.

    Brake fluid embrittles many plastics. Maybe you keep a scatter shield
    around your fans to contain flying blades?

    VaVoom, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Paul

    Adiabatic Guest

    Don't listen to anyone's claims unless they themselves have actually
    done it. I used to have the asus a7v 133 1.05 and I didn't try
    anything faster than a 1400, so I can't tell you.

    Adiabatic, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yeah, but I don't coat the friggin blades with it.:)
    I'm also the guy that is now using 30 year old wheel bearing grease as a
    thermal compound on my A64 machine.
    I'm also the guy that went ahead and put an Athlon XP in the first
    generation Socket A MB (KT7-Raid, with KT133 chipset) even though Abit and
    everyone else said it wouldn't work. I knew they were full of crap then,
    and things haven't changed.
    I'm also the guy that clocked the system clock to 233MHz on first
    generation A64 MB's when all the so called experts said it couldn't be
    done. That took all of about 1 minute.

    To be honest, I can't remember how many times a company has
    told me this or that couldn't be done only to prove them wrong. And I mean
    their own product. And I garauntee you I can put any socket A CPU into the
    A7V133 MB (KT133A chipset) and make it work. And the same thing can be
    done with the original A7V (KT133 chipset).

    Wes Newell, Nov 23, 2005
  12. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you guys would just do a web search or two, you'll find people running
    all kinds of cpu's in boards that are said not to support them. Here's
    just a sample.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 549 for a7v133 1.05 2400 - 0.26 sec.

    Cainfoo 03-29-04 10:48 PM
    2400+ on A7V133

    Currently I have an A7V133 Rev 1.04, Actually its my wifes computer,
    running a XP 2400+ thoroughbred B with no modifications at all.The only
    thing I had to do was manually set the Vcore to 1.65 because the board in
    auto was setting it at 1.5. The clock is currently set at 142 [email protected] for a
    processor speed of 2130. I am using the stock AMD cooling fan and it
    reaches a max temp of 115 F running prime 95. Asus says it will only run
    up to 2100 Palomino But so far I have run a Thunderbird 1.13 Gig. 266 FSB,
    a 2100+ Palomino, a 2100+ Thoroughbred a, and now the 2400+ Thoroughbred
    B. It is pretty funny, my wifes A7V133 is now running at a faster
    processor speed than my A7V333 with a 2600+ Barton. But mine still out
    performs it due to DDR ram and the additional L2 cache. But any way the
    board has more capabitities than what Asus leads us to believe.

    Just one more, with a Barton core...

    tufter 05-18-2004 04:53 PM
    Re: Barton 2500+ works in Asus A7V 133

    I have a mobile barton running at 2.6 Ghz in an A7V133 v1.04.
    Fantastic chip - needs the wire trick with an A7V.
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=279392

    note: The wire trick he's talking about is setting the 5th (8x) multiplier
    bit (pin AJ27) high. There's many ways to do this depending on ones needs.

    Wes Newell, Nov 23, 2005
  13. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    I did a search! I found this:
    ----
    In my opinion this compatibility or incompatibility comes from the fact
    that between Athlon and AthlonXP the specification for the processor bus
    has been changed. As far as I know for AthlonXP so called "L-C-L"
    Filters are needed, which are NOT implemented on older mainboards.
    Without these filters it depends on how the production tolerances of
    CPU, Chipset, Mainboard etc. affect each other. Either it does simply
    not boot, it works unstably, or it works perfectly. Noone can tell you
    if your combination will work - even if others have had success with a
    certain combination, it might or might not work for you. So only try
    using AthlonXPs on mainboards that are 100% fit for the purpose (see
    tables and links below). If you want to try on a not officially
    compatible board, than be prepared to run into trouble.

    VaVoom, Nov 23, 2005
  14. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    Silly. Brake fluid gets spilled, it migrates, droplets get flung when
    parts spin at thousands of rpm...

    VaVoom, Nov 23, 2005
  15. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    OK, let me put it this way then. I've been using it for years and have
    never had anything break. I do of course only put in 1 samll drop, so it
    doesn't get flung out either. At least not in any noticable amount. And if
    it's so bad for plastic, why is it that the reservoirs for brake fluid on
    almost all cars are made of plastic. I really kind of doubt that it has
    any affect, other wise it wouldn't be used on what's considered the most
    critical safety feature of the casr, the brakes.

    Wes Newell, Nov 24, 2005
  16. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    My black plastic fans, and the shrouds around them, are hard. I snipped
    little bits off an old one with some aviation snips, and the chunks
    cracked away and went zinging across the room.
    My white plastic brake fluid reservoir appears to be more pliant, but I
    haven't snipped away at it.
    My guess is that there are *TWO* kinds of plastic. Maybe even more!

    I worked at a Suzuki shop for a while. When front brake work was done on
    a customer's bike, sometimes a little brake fluid would get spilled on a
    plastic front fender. When that happened, the bike automatically got a
    new fender.

    Brake fluid lifts paint. Spill some on your car.
    Spill some on your motherboard, spill some on the IDE cable sockets,
    slop it around for years and then report back to us.

    VaVoom, Nov 24, 2005
  17. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    Try thousands. Probably rated by it's hardnest. Any serious fisherman has
    probably made their on plastic worms on the kitchen stove. I have.
    Never had a plastic fender on my bikes that I recall. But haven't owned
    one since the early 70's.
    Well, I've slopped it around cars for closer to 50 years than 40. That
    long enough? I've got a can of it that's at least 30 years old and the
    paint of the can is still there. Any unlike material that comes in contact
    has some affect on each other. Bolt an aluminum part on to a steal part
    and corrosion will be increased at that point. Corrosion control course
    circa 1964. The thing is with the fans is that they will long be trash
    before any noticable amount of damage would occur from any petrolium
    products coming into contact with them. And the final point is that one
    shouldn't over apply ANY type oil the the fan bearings as they will all
    deteriorate the plastic to some degree. But not enough to worry about by a
    long shot.

    Wes Newell, Nov 24, 2005
  18. Paul

    VaVoom Guest

    Then you are right, Paul should get an XP-Mobile 2600+ Barton processor
    for his board.

    VaVoom, Nov 25, 2005
  19. Paul

    uddarts Guest

    you may find an acceptable answer to xp/t-breds here:

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=190841&page=4&pp=15&highlight=A7V133

    ud

    uddarts, Dec 13, 2005