  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I'm seeking a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 MB for my new project. Please email with details:

    Rob, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Rob

    Jeff French Guest

    Rob,
    I built my last computer project with this board. It is the first Gigabyte
    board I have used, as have used ASUS boards for years.

    All I can say is the board works as advertised. I have a PCI-64 Firewire-800
    board in one of the PCI-X slots (Firewire support is not on this board). I
    use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot, 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks of
    Crucial memory. and a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS.

    My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be
    connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This
    means I have to connect my 2 74G Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives
    (non Raid) and another 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive to the Sil 3114
    Controller.

    My SCSI devices, a VXA Tape drive and a 36GB IBM SCSI hard drive work as my
    system backup. I normally disable the SCSI controller in the MB BIOS and
    enable SCSI when I want to perform a system backup.

    Availability? Gigabyte manufactured only a single run of these boards. They
    were snapped-up very quickly. I bought mine from NewEgg and they only had
    them about a week and I believe I paid about $350.00. Good luck on finding a
    new one.

    Jeff

    Jeff French, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Newegg as of 2 days ago--$189 US

    Sheldon Roger, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Rob

    Udo Kammer Guest

    It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
    PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.
    You may have a look at following article.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html

    Udo Kammer

    Udo Kammer, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Rob

    Jeff French Guest

    Jeff French, Nov 18, 2004
  6. Rob

    Jeff French Guest

    Udo,
    Sorry about the link...
    Enter portal using above link, locate and press Serial ATA button, select
    controllers, select Sil3114, the statement I was reffering to in my earlier
    post is the last one on this page.

    Jeff

    Jeff French, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Rob

    Udo Kammer Guest

    Hello Jeff,
    I know this link. About 8 month ago I had the problem to connect a
    Yamaha CRW-F1 to SATA. The Onboard-Controller was the Sil 3114 and the
    bridge adapter card with a Sil 3611 chip. It was impossible to use the
    CD-writer on SATA. I asked the support from Silicon Image and they
    told me, that the bridge can only be used with hard disks.
    Unfortunately I have cancelled the email.

    Now I have the Plextor PX-712SA and a SATA Harddisk from Samsung
    connected to the onboard SATA-controller integrated in intel's i875.
    It works without any problems.

    Udo Kammer

    Udo Kammer, Nov 18, 2004