    either replace that retention or replace motherboard? dell wants too
    much for new board.

    thanks

    Sasha, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Sasha

    S.Lewis Guest

    small form factor, mid-size, or mini-tower?

    S.Lewis, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Sasha

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you can find the retention bracket separately, replacing it is a minor amount
    of surgery. Dell would not sell the part separately, so your best option would
    be to find maybe a blown out board from which the bracket can be removed.

    I have a Dell Pentium 4 GX-series board here with mounting bracket. I have not
    tested the board, but the bracket is whole. If you have a photo of the bracket
    in your system, and the bracket matches yours, I'll sell it to you for much less
    than a whole replacement board.

    The alternative would be to use a more standard retention bracket and install a
    standard heat sink/fan. But the system chassis may not have enough clearance to
    handle the standard stuff... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Sasha

    Sasha Guest