X11 on OS X 10.3.7: running pseudocolor and 24 bit X11 in parallel

Discussion in 'Apple' started by s_jester, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. s_jester

    s_jester Guest

    Disclaimer: complete newbie who needs help, haven't read the FAQ, did
    RTFM and googled and found no answer. Please set followup-to to either
    ..system or .apps if you feel it's appropriate.

    http://developer.apple.com/darwin/runningx11.html says that one can a
    24-bit and an 8-bit (pseudocolor) X11 server on Mac OS X 10.3.7 in
    parallel (i.e. Mac's own X11 server) by issuing

    $ Xquartz -depth 8 -displayID 1

    However, when I do that, I get an error message

    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.

    OsVendorFatalError
    AbortDDX
    Quitting XDarwin...

    I don't understand why it complains about display 0 when I ask it to
    run as diplay 1. Has anyone managed to get Mac's X11 running two
    servers in parallel, with different display IDs?

    Thanks.

    s_jester, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Try launching with:

    Xquartz :1 -depth 8 -displayID 1 &