X1300 performs worse than my gforce3

Discussion in 'ATI' started by W????n, May 16, 2006.

  1. W????n

    W????n Guest

    I am just about stumped on this.

    Visiontek X1300 with 256 GDDR-2 @ 533 MHz

    I am not joking, my gforce3 with 128 memory is kicking this cards butt.

    I have a K7N2 Delta ILSR Mobo
    AMD cpu running at 2180 ghz
    768 DDR RAM
    Plenty of HD space

    I am getting low frame rates in games(TFC,[TFC should be screaming!!!] CS
    source, DOD source, etc.) and stuttering of the video.

    Any suggestions?

    I have tried the Omega drivers, the drivers that came with the card, and the
    odngov drivers. All seem to work about the same.

    Where is my issue with this?

    Should run very well compared to gforce3.

    Any ideas would be obviously appreciated!

    WS

    W????n, May 16, 2006

  2. W????n

    W????n Guest

    Sorry about the double post.

    I am beggining to wonder if my power supply is just not quite enough. 350
    watts.

    Any ideas otherwise?

    W????n, May 16, 2006

  3. W????n

    DDC Guest

    These game use dx9
    The $$$ spend
    It is known that nvidia give more fps but has more trouble to give
    quality. But with today's video card the same thing apply but is
    counter balance with technologies and all the option that you can get
    in a video card. the card you mention is at the base of the new set of
    video card from ati. The cheap one are x1300. i bet that you've bought
    it for 30$

    your gforce card was i guess a good card for it time and was using
    directx 5 or 6, but here the x1300 use directx 9 witch ask for a lot
    of power and capability to render an image per second.

    Ie: your x1300 has ...
    Bus Type PCI Express x16
    Memory Amount (MB ) 256
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Interface 128-bit
    Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 500
    Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 450
    Pipelines 4
    Pixel Shader Processors 4
    Pixel Fillrate 1.8 Gpixels
    Geometry Rate* N/A

    there are 3 main thing that you should look for
    Higher is better...
    1. the memory interface
    2. the memory speed and the gpu speed "processor of the card"
    3. the number of pipeline use in the card.
    That part is really important.

    It's like buying a car with a 4 cylinder vs one that has 16.
    your x1300 is the 4 cylinder " is has 4pipeline"...

    So your old card perform better because it use the directx version
    that is supported like dx 5 or 6 vs your new x1300 that use dx9 witch
    need power " the tree things mentioned". Games seems to work better
    with the gf3 because they are built to fit whats in your pc. By this,
    it using dx5-6 to complie with your old card and make the game run
    smooter. The same thing apply to your new card. What you should do is
    trying to set "in the game" the dx version to a lower one, by default
    more than often it use dx9 in games. Ie: COD2 use dx7 and 9. dx7 will
    be faster because it doesn't need much from recent cards. By that your
    x1300 will have less trouble to get more frame per second, but again,
    you will loose the eye candy of the game. in last ressort you should
    try to lower the resolution of the screen in game like goin gfrom
    1024x764 to 800x600 if the game handle it. Or removing all the extra
    options.

    Finally you get what you've paid for, that what i learn.

    You should try something else like a x800 or a x1600xt or something
    around 150$ us. They are good card for their price and has 12 pipeline
    128bit/256bit memory interface and come in a variety of brand and
    spec.

    i hope it help you...

    DDC, May 16, 2006
  4. W????n

    First of One Guest

    Can't say much except the usual:
    - Install/update your mobo drivers. That's an nForce2 board, right?
    - Reinstall games, or run the game's autodetect routine if one is available.

    First of One, May 16, 2006
  5. W????n

    First of One Guest

    Looking at a previous post, it seems you messed around with ATiTool, right?
    If the X1300 behaves the same way as the X1900, you may have been running
    games stuck at the slower clock speeds normally used for 2D mode.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del and make sure the program ATI2EVXX.EXE is running. If it's not,
    reset the WinXP service "ATi Hotkey Poller" to automatic startup.

    The X1300, no matter how castrated, should still be faster:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2552&p=8

    First of One, May 16, 2006
  6. W????n

    Rod Guest

    You must be delusional!

    My X1300 pro play these games very well.

    Rod, May 16, 2006
  7. W????n

    W????n Guest

    thx for the info!

    The card was 150.00 if that makes any difference here.

    i seem to have found a stable environment by lowering the performace
    settings per sey.

    I am now getting better quality without the stuttering situation being so
    obvious.

    I will try a few other things as well.

    Thanks again for the input.

    WS

    W????n, May 16, 2006
  8. W????n

    W????n Guest

    Checked out the program you mentioned and it is running.

    See reply to DDC if you are interested further.

    Thx for your input.

    WS

    W????n, May 16, 2006
  9. W????n

    DDC Guest

    I've read the review of the 1300pro and find very strange that a 4pipe
    card run so close to a x1600xt witch is 12pipeline like in the game
    doom3. anyway the card is obliterate at higher resolution...

    I suspect industrial conspiracy for r wallet.

    DDC, May 16, 2006
  10. W????n

    Pluvious Guest

    I'm almost certain you knew this but I wanted to point out that if you left ANY
    of the old Nvidia .dll's and drivers that the new ATI card will have 'issues'.
    Its critical that you clean your system of all Nvidia stuff first.. then
    reinstall the ATI drivers.

    http://www.drivercleaner.net/

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, May 16, 2006
  11. W????n

    Ian Guest

    Hmmmm! Well, you've jumped from an AGP4x card to an 8x, check that 8x is
    set to run in the BIOS, that the aperture is matching the 256mb of your
    card and it should be worth turning on fastwrites on a system like yours,
    just for the hell of it. Update the mobo drivers, or at least the AGP port
    driver, if you haven't. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the games you
    mention, but I have known some games write a config file based on a
    particular card and not update that file when another card is substituted.
    In fact, I think someone else posted this too, clean out the configs and
    reconfigure your games. I would expect you to lock-up/crash with
    insufficient power, but 350w isn't a lot these days as you obviously
    realise. I'm not going to repeat the other posters who advise you to clean
    all Nvidia traces, but strictly speaking they are right, although I
    managed it well enough with add/remove programs when I did it. There was
    nothing left which caused me conflicts moving from a GF4 to a 9600 (some
    time ago now!).

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0620-0, 15/05/2006
    Tested on: 16/05/2006 20:54:40

    Ian, May 16, 2006
  12. W????n

    Ian Guest

    That was useful. He's not delusional, but he does have a technical
    problem. That's why he's here. Nobody is suggesting that the X1300 is dog
    slow by design.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0620-1, 17/05/2006
    Tested on: 18/05/2006 10:45:15

    Ian, May 18, 2006
  13. W????n

    Danny G. Guest

    I know it does not help but my x1300pro performs much better than I thought it would in games and has been trouble free,

    Danny G., May 18, 2006
  14. W????n

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    NoNoBadDog!, May 18, 2006
  15. W????n

    DDC Guest

    It all depend on your kind of use, people tend to play their game at
    1600x1200 or lower. The card must be maximised for 1024x764

    1024x764 should be the maximum resolution that he can handle with hes
    card and that at low details. hmm i'm not trying to say that hes card
    is slow by design but it only shows...

    maybe he could try 3dmark05 to see if it match a x1600 series card or
    a 1800 one.

    hl2 is not much demanding in video processing, try bf2, d3, q4, or
    oblivion with directx 9.

    and enjoy...

    DDC, May 18, 2006
  16. W????n

    Ian Guest

    Sure. I can't imagine doing anything at 1600x1200 with his CPU (or my own
    3200+), regardless of the GPU used, and that might be part of the issue,
    but the OP was really only complaining that he can't even beat his old
    card, and that just shouldn't be. Hence the troubleshooting posts
    concerning basic settings and clean driver installs.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0620-2, 18/05/2006
    Tested on: 18/05/2006 23:48:41

    Ian, May 18, 2006
  17. W????n

    DDC Guest

    i thought that i had the subject in good hand. he's card perform well
    (gf3) because by default games use the available hardware in the pc
    and by this adding a videocard that has hardware dx9 with only 4pipes
    for the 3dengine, that, would prevent him from getting decent fps in
    game and even lower frame rate because of the need of bigger card to
    get all the needed power to get all the extra eye candy from games IE
    cod2 witch is dx7 compatible and dx9. if you do the test with fraps
    you would will notice a frame drop by going from dx7 to 9 and that at
    all resolution.

    so this is why he think it's video card give him less frame per
    second. it because of the directx 9 engine implement in the card witch
    is selected by default in games, thus, affecting the frame rate.

    if the 2 cards were set head to head in dx5 or 6 maybe then the x1300
    would win and that independently from what cpu he got.

    i think he got an athlon xp 2400 or 2800 witch is 2gig of power
    depending on the fsb. And that is more than enough for gaming, he
    doesn't need a fx cpu to get decent frame rate. also he has 1gig of
    ram so he is fine.

    so in a matter of speeking you and i r write...

    DDC, May 20, 2006