X1600 Pro AGP artifacts

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by desteele, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. desteele

    desteele

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    OK, I've been in a fight about this card with ATI/AMD, and I'm about at my wit's end. I bought it off of Ebay a year ago, and it appeared to be new when I got it, so I'm not questioning that. But from the time I installed it on my dual-boot XP/Vista Ultimate system, I get random artifacting from time to time. Usually just one thin stripe from side to side, neon green in color. I originally went to them, they kept telling me to upgrade the drivers which didn't help.

    Now, they are refusing warranty service since I bought it from a reseller, and I don't really want to trash a card that might not be bad. So, here are a couple of questions:

    1. Is this most likely a driver issue, or are ATI cards known to have bad eggs amongst them?

    2. If you feel it's driver related, what's the last safe version of the Cat drivers I can run (and expect to work) on both XP SP3(yes, 3) and Vista Ultimate? I have a copy of the 7.7 that I had to locate to get the 9800SE that replaced the X1600 running. I am well versed in the complete removal of the ATI drivers so I got that going for me.

    3. Any feelings one way or the other about the CCC? Something tells me that it causes problems too...but I have no proof of that. If I don't use that, will the ATI tool do the same thing?

    Any other wisdom you folks feel like imparting, let me have it. And thanks in advance.

    DeS

    desteele, Feb 12, 2008