    i plan to buy a new videocard - x1950pro or HD2600xt.
    does HD2600xt really have better performance over X1950pro?

    thank you!

    Quad_Damage, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Quad_Damage

    Frodo Guest

    From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,
    But the X1950 Pro will do better with Direct X 9.

    Frodo, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Quad_Damage

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Jul 24, 2007
  4. Quad_Damage

    Ken Maltby Guest

    The HD 2600XT is underpowered for DX10 gaming.

    There are other features to consider if you want to work with HD or
    compress SD using highly complex AVC/H.264 or VC-1. For that
    kind of work, the new Avivo and PureVideo features can make a real
    difference.

    Presents the $100-150 ATI cards that include the newest features.
    While they support DX10 and newer shaders, I would not recommend
    them for gaming. Their video accelerations look impressive though.

    ( I find it odd that the HD 2900XT still has the older version of
    Avivo. )

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Quad_Damage

    First of One Guest

    The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
    being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
    pressures.

    First of One, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Quad_Damage

    William Guest

    I have been planning to upgrade to VISTA and a DX10 board just before
    Christmas this year. When I purchased the system I now have, back in
    November 06, I got a coupon for Vista with the XP SR2b, and a x1950pro. I'm
    not happy with the reviews on VISTA or ATI's DX10 boards for games. The
    specks on the HD2900 series is junk. Entry level at best. May have to wait
    for a while longer than I thought.

    From what I have been reading, Vista SR1 isn't going to be all that great
    when it comes to video performance either. It looks like XP sr2b is going
    to be the top-dog for a while longer in the gaming world. (I want HALO2 on
    my XP!)

    Maybe their is to much DRM in the system gumming up the inners. Maybe I'll
    pull out the E6600 - Core 2 Dual and drop in a Core 2 Quad in its place for
    Christmas. Maybe go to 4 gig (3.2g usable ) to go with XP.

    William

    William, Jul 25, 2007
  7. Quad_Damage

    William Guest

    I've been thinking about this for a while. I'll take back the comment that
    these series of boards are junk. They are not. They would do well in any
    business computer that a company wants to add DX10 compatibility too, or a
    computer that has on-board video that a person would like to upgrade to DX10
    with investing little money. Their are needs for this type of entry-level
    boards for the market. So I stand corrected. By myself.

    Sorry for that comment.

    William

    William, Jul 26, 2007
  8. Quad_Damage

    First of One Guest

    The question that ensues is: why would any business computer need DX10
    compatibility?

    Of course, with Acrobat 8 requiring Shader Model 3.0 to activate GPU
    acceleration, maybe it's not so far-fetched...

    First of One, Jul 26, 2007