    used their own SATA drives? If so, any issues and how did you get
    around the HD SLED issue?

    Thanks!

    te, Sep 7, 2006

  2. te

    Rich Teer Guest

    Sounds like BS to me.
    I ordered an X2100 recently with one hard drive, and the other slot
    contained an empty sled. I've not tried using it to install a disk,
    but it looks like it should be OK.

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Sep 7, 2006

  3. te

    DMcQ Guest

    I've got 5 x2100's and the sleds are there. I just screwed in my
    value-added drives and it was fine. Now the x4x00 line does *not*
    follow this formula. Of course those are SAS drives.

    DMcQ, Sep 8, 2006
  4. te

    te Guest

    I just wanted to follow-up in case anyone was curious of the details.

    I ordered my X2200 M2 with Dual 2210's and 2GB RAM, DVD-Rom, and No
    Hard Drives.

    The system ships with one processor installed along with the 2GB RAM.
    The extra processor and the DVD-Rom ship as Sun X- part #'s seperately,
    but bundled. They are field installed units.

    One note to take notice on, the 2GB ram from the pre-select model on
    the Sun website, ships as 2 x 1GB DDR2 DIMMS. Each processor requires
    memory in it's own memory banks, so you can't install the other
    processor until you add more memory. This was ok for me, because I was
    populating it up with 4GB anyways (you guys talked me into it. ;)).

    The drive bays BOTH shipped with the sleds. Which I also discovered
    that they are the same sleds as the old D1000, et al... SPUDS! Makes
    me happy, I have a ton of those laying around.

    Memory and Hard Drives should be here on Friday to finish the install,
    but so far, I have been playing with the LOM and I have to say, Sun has
    come a far way since their first incarnation on the old Netra X1. :) I
    love the SSH IP KVM! Unreal! I can't tell you how many people I
    impressed today showing them at a remote office the capabilities.

    I think I even have a few Windows consultants talked into buying Sun
    Fire's from now on instead of Dell because of that feature alone. They
    said it will save them a ton of hours of on-site visits! Now if I can
    just teach them Solaris.....:)

    Anyways, there an update for the next guy trying to do this search!

    Take care and thanks for the input.

    te, Sep 28, 2006
  5. te

    Frank Cusack Guest

    Unless the M2 LOM is different than the x4100 LOM, it's pretty lame
    actually. I can't verify it right now, because documention links
    on http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/support.xml are broken
    right now. (I'm just talking about ssh; the java console might
    be good, but I haven't tried it.)
    DRAC is better than the x4100 LOM, don't know about the 2100M2, but
    certainly DRAC is good enough. Maybe a few hours education would
    be more worthwhile. :)

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Sep 28, 2006
  6. te

    twchen

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I intend to purchase a X2200 and outfit it with non SUN SATA 250GB. They are much cheaper. Are u using non SUN SATA or SUN SATA drives ?

    twchen, Nov 15, 2006