X2200 M2 memory constraints?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Jim Prescott, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Jim Prescott

    Jim Prescott Guest

    We have 2 dual processor X2200 M2 systems, each of which comes
    with 4 1G DIMMs. We also have 8 2G DIMMs from Kingston (KTS5287K2/4G).
    Is there any constraint beyond matched pairs for adding memory?

    Is there any downside to the obvious choice of just adding a pair
    of 2G DIMMs next to each existing pair of 1G DIMMs (ie each
    cpu's banks being 1122----)? 12G in each system, 6G on each CPU.

    We'd consider setting them up as 16G and 8G (2222---- 2222---- &
    1111---- 1111----) if better interleaving or somesuch would make
    them faster.

    The docs indicate pairs are the only issue but I wanted to double check.
    http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/819-6597-11/Chap4.html#17924

    I'm aware that using more than 4 DIMMs per cpu slows the memory
    down from 667 to 533MHz but that isn't an issue for us yet.

    Thanks for your help.

    Jim Prescott, Jan 6, 2007