X2200 M2 Slim DVD Rom Drive installation?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by te, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. te

    te Guest

    Just got our X2200 M2 server, installed the extra proc (ships
    seperately) and now I'm installing the DVD drive which also ships
    seperately, but I have two problems....

    One the hardware manual says to insert the drive until it "clicks",
    which it does not. As a matter of fact, the release arms hits against
    the fan units preventing the drive from sliding all the way in. I have
    bent the arm to the left and to the right to get the drive to slide in
    without hitting the fans, but it never clicks in and there is nothing
    that looks like it would snap and hold it in.

    The second thing, the IDE cable that runs to the drive will not fit
    because the "notch" on the cable is on the bottom, while the notch on
    the edge connector is on top. The drive shipped with a two inch cable
    extender, however it is female to female and will not plug into the
    female connector cable to the MB.

    Everything is really tight and clean in the system and I'm impressed
    with the build with the exception of this one problem.

    Anyone else figure out how to install this drive?

    te, Sep 26, 2006

  2. te

    te Guest

    Just in case anyone else runs into this, Sun accidently shipped my a
    DVD for a X2100.

    They overnighted (I LOVE SUN) the correct one and all is right in the
    world now! :)

    te, Sep 28, 2006