X31 crashes when going from battery to AC and back

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Louise, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Louise

    Louise Guest

    My new X31 almost always crashes when it is running and I
    either plug in or remove the AC adapter. The battery is
    completely charged. Sometimes it seems to work, but it is
    random and infrequent.

    Usually it just dies immediately going from battery to AC
    or from AC to battery. It then has to be turned on again
    with the power button and it boots.

    If it is started on either AC or battery, and left that
    way, it runs fine.

    Carry in repair depot thought it was the motherboard and
    replaced it. But before I got it out of the shop, it
    happened again.

    Now they think it may be a fault in the extra 512 of Viking
    memory. Does this sound likely?

    Any other possibilities as to what would cause this?

    TIA

    Louise, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Louise

    E Brown Guest

    Crashes in Windows are almost always memory errors, and commonly
    such problems on Thinkpads are due to memory upgrades that are
    slightly out of spec. It should be easy to test - pull the memory and
    try the same thing.
    The other possibility is a problem with your ACPI driver install,
    which controls your power management settings. Fixing that usually
    requires re-installing Windows.
    You could try disabling power management, but that will result in
    less battery run-time.
    Just some thoughts.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Louise

    John Chan Guest

    I have exactly the same kind of problem with my T40. The different is I
    only got my laptop crash when switching from battery to AC and it only
    happen randomly (about once a week). Also when it happen, the screen
    just go blank and the whole machine hang (no Blue screen at all).

    The first few months when I got my T40, I don't have this problem until
    about two/three months ago. My laptop have 768MB RAM and the upgraded
    RAM were ordered directly from IBM (PC2100 DDR Sodimm). I think this may
    be a software issue (e.g. video drive or Power Manangement driver) rather
    than hardware.

    John Chan, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Louise

    Louise Guest

    I was innacurate. I don't get a blue screen either - the
    machine hangs completely and requires a reboot. However,
    this is happening more than once a week.

    Microsoft authorized repair has replaced the motherboard
    and the memory and the intermittent problem is still
    present.

    Microsoft is now saying to reinstall Windows. What kind of
    software problem do you think might be the cause?

    Louise, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Louise

    ¤pÄ_ John Guest

    Unless you don't mind to go through the pain process of reinstalling
    Windows and all your applications and updates, I would first try to
    reinstall the Video and/or Power Management drivers (I had done this
    already). If it still fail, I would try to revert back to a previous
    BIOS version (if I can still download it from IBM) or wait for a new BIOS
    to be released.

    ¤pÄ_ John, Jan 27, 2004