    single-core CPU ? I am guessing that this is justified that the dual-core
    CPU has "much better access" ( something to do with AMD's HyperTransport
    Access?? ) to memory compared to 2 single-core CPUs.

    js, Sep 23, 2005

  2. First of all, the 270 runs at 2.0GHz and the 248 runs at 2.2GHz, so a dual
    248 has slightly more raw processor grunt than a single 270.

    The choice of being worth it or not depends what you're looking for really.
    If you're sure that you're going to only need 2 processors, then a dual 248
    is almost certainly a better deal. You get more memory bandwidth (each
    processor has dual-channel PC3200, compared to the 270 only having single
    dual-channel PC3200), more raw computing power, more HT links, basically
    more of everything on the performance side{*}. The dual-core Opterons'
    strong points are mainly higher core density. You get more cores per watt
    and more cores for the same space. Additionally, the cost of a dual
    dual-core system is lower than that of a 4-CPU single-core system.

    So, if you were pretty sure you're only going to need two cores, a dual 248
    system makes more sense. If, on the other hand, you have a decent chance of
    doing an upgrade to four cores in the near future, it'd be a better move to
    get a single 270 system so that you can drop in a second CPU later when you
    need it. It's a somewhat risky thing to do due to the higher upfront cost,
    and only really worth it if you're planning to do the upgrade within a year
    or so.

    [...]

    {*} The dual-core CPU does enjoy slightly lower cache-to-cache transfer
    times (the transactions go directly through the
    higher-bandwidth-lower-latency crossbar, as opposed to the hypertransport
    bus) but there are few applications that benefit much from this. The halving
    of the memory bandwidth on the dual-core system is far more likely to have
    an impact on performance in most cases.

    Michael Brown, Sep 23, 2005

  3. js

    js Guest

    Sorry .. yes I was referring to 270 instead of 720
    Ok ... but a 248 is a single-core ..

    But I suppose what you are suggesting is to go with 2 x 248 ... "If you're
    sure that you're going to only need 2 processors" .. as u were earlier
    suggesting

    .... plus the higher memory bandwidth
    .... plus being cheaper than one dual-core 248

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Anyone beg to differ / has another angle ?

    js, Sep 23, 2005