X700 Blackout problems

Discussion in 'ATI' started by misterjerk2, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. misterjerk2

    misterjerk2 Guest

    Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem?
    I purchased a genuine ATI Radeon x700Pro 256M (PCIE) in January.

    Last week the card started acting up suddenly. I was playing World of
    Warcraft for a few hours when the screen suddenly went black. After a
    few moments the screen would return only to go black again a few
    seconds later. The more I played, the more frequent the problem became.
    When I stopped playing the problem continued in windows whenever I
    would move a window or something graphical.

    If I power off the machine for a few minutes, the problem goes away at
    least until I play a 3D game.

    I took a look and the GPU doesn't seem to be getting abnormally hot.
    But it seems like the card is overly heat sensitive or something.

    Can anyone shed some light on this?

    I have already downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers (yesterday) and
    followed ATIs recommendations here.
    http://www.ati.com/online/customercare/solutions/displayissueshtml

    Additionaly, I have not made any recent changes to the system that
    would have caused this problem, it just started on its own.

    To no avail.

    mj

    misterjerk2, Jun 28, 2005

  2. misterjerk2

    murph1012 Guest

    See the post topic x700 Dual Display problems on 5/4/05 From: "bigk" for my post on this problem.

    I just got rid of my Microsoft Opticial Wireless mouse and replaced it with a standard wired PS/2 ball mouse.

    End of problem, just got done playin 5 hours of Nascar Season Racing 2005 (100 lap SuperSpeedway race with a full field of cars).
    Shit frame rate @ 1600x1200 with everything on and 42 cars viewed forward. 20-25fps from the 39th starting position of a field of 43.
    I had to turn off shadows to get the fps up to 34-36 to make it even playable. Made it look like shit, I might as well dig out the old 486 DX100
    and play NASCAR 1 (and the AI doesn't accordian pile up on the back straight ala NASCAR 3 + every yellow lap).
    Also played a couple of hours yesterday of DOOM III ROE with no problems at all.

    Another ATI card 'bout ready to hit the bin.

    murph1012, Jun 29, 2005

  3. misterjerk2

    Mister Jerk Guest

    That is really bizarre!
    I have a wired MS optical mouse. will try the USB/PS2 converter and see
    if there is a difference. I just wonder why this problem came out of
    nowhere! Thanks for the idea.

    Also, does this only happen with the DVI connector? my LCD supports
    either VGA/DVI, will try to switch them and see.

    Mister Jerk, Jun 30, 2005
  4. misterjerk2

    Capt Nemo Guest

    Have similar problems only when using the dvi for 3d gaming (doom3, far cry,
    etc). If I I use vga no problems. Using a 450 antac power supply. Using ms
    wireless keyboard & mouse though .....

    Capt Nemo, Jul 1, 2005
  5. misterjerk2

    Guess Who Guest

    I have the exact same problem with my Radeon x700 256MB PCI-E card. It only
    seemed to crap out when using my DELL Flat Panel monitor. It did not happen
    when I connected my Samsung Flat Panel - both were connected by DVI. But my
    problem was a little different. I didn't have to play any games. Shortly
    after bootup, it would just randomly blink off, then back on and off, it
    would stay like this for about a minute, then just go completely black. The
    only way to get the monitor back was a reboot. It would happen if I clicked
    a link on a web page, or ran the TV app from my EliteWonder TV card. I
    really wasn't doing anything to overheat the card, and my case has good
    ventilation/cooling.

    I even changed motherboards and it still happened. At the time, I did not
    have the MS Wireless Optical mouse (But now I have the wireless combo
    "Desktop Elite").

    Guess Who, Jul 10, 2005
  6. misterjerk2

    Mister Jerk Guest

    I tried changing the K/B connector.. no go. The only thing that would
    work was setting a large fan pointing into my PC case.

    So the final result was that I did an RMA on the card. They gave me a
    new one (suspiciously with a higher revision #). All works well now. I
    think it was having some heat problems. It was overly heat sensitive.

    Mister Jerk, Jul 19, 2005
  7. misterjerk2

    DDC Guest

    Can you tell me what king of #revision i should be looking for i got
    the same problem here in 3d application my screen turn off by it's
    self and i cant get it back on until i reboot.

    And where is that #revision

    Thank you

    DDC, Jul 28, 2005