X800 GTO 256Mb or X1600 Pro 256Mb

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Chris, May 15, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    My current specs are :-

    Gigabyte 7DXR M/B
    768Mb DDR RAM (EEC)
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Connect3D Radeon 9500 Pro

    Yeah I know pretty dated and I'd love to upgrade the lot but I can't so
    I'm looking for an AGP graphics card upgrade to play Half Life 2 :
    Episode 1 on, basically HL2 ran ok with my current setup at 1024x768
    max settings, but I did get some slow down and when lost coast came out
    it wasn't capable of running it at any decent speed at all.

    I've identified the following two cards that fit in my budget, but I am
    really struggling to choose between them and havn't found any real
    direct comparison for them on the web

    1 - PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP)
    (£117.44)
    2 - Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) (£86.89)

    What would you guys recommend between these two for HL2 Lost coast/Ep1
    on my system? I tried a Geforce 6600GT on my system last year but had
    real problems and found there was some incompatibility between my M/B
    chipset and the card, so I'm sticking with ATI to be safe.

    Any help is most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Chris, May 15, 2006

  2. Chris

    SonofLaL Guest

[...]

    shame you want to stick with ati as a second hand 6800gt would have fitted
    into your price range. only thing is that your cpu may hold back a more
    powerful gfx card like the x800 or x1600 or even the 6800gt (if you could be
    persuaded to try nVidia again). I only add the 6800gt cos i`m selling mine
    as i`m swapping to PCI-e now with an x1800gto. :)

    SonofLaL, May 15, 2006

  3. Chris

    JimL Guest

    Hi Chris

    I've just installed a Sapphire X1600 Pro 256mb into my ageing Asus
    P4B533 motherboard as my 3 year old Radeon 9700 Pro expired last week.
    I paid £90 for the X1600 Pro ( from SCAN in the UK ) and was amazed to
    find that all the benchmarking scores with 3dmark03 and 05 had risen by
    50%. Quake 4 now plays smoothly at 1280x1024 which my £300 9700 Pro (
    about 3 years ago ! ) could not manage. Amazing value for money,
    especially if you are stuck with an AGP slot only and are
    unwilling/unable to 'upgrade' just yet. I have 2GB ram and a P4 3.2ghz
    processor.
    Hope this helps with your decision making process.

    Jim

    JimL, May 15, 2006
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks for your input guys, I don't have anything against nVidia its
    just there seems to be a compatibility issue between my motherboard
    chipset and newish nvidia cards, for all I know I'll have the same
    problems with the newer ATI cards aswell (hope not though!).

    The X1600 Pro is looking good at the moment as its dirt cheap and
    supports some newer functionality, just a little concerned that some of
    the specs on paper don't look as good as the X800 GTO, of course like
    you said my CPU etc. is probably going to be a bottleneck so I might
    not see any difference anyway.

    If anyone has any X1600 Pro vs X800 GTO experience could they let me
    know what they think.

    Thanks

    Chris, May 16, 2006
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Also does anyone know if either of these cards has video in capability
    for encoding from an external source?

    Thanks

    Chris, May 16, 2006
  6. Chris

    DDC Guest

    many video card are vivo and AIW capâble and therefore are joint with
    a video-in option. you should try to read the spec from the web site
    as we dont know what brand your reffering to.

    DDC, May 16, 2006
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I was referring to the two cards in my original post, the Sapphire
    X1600 Pro and the PowerColor X800 GTO. I did check out the specs on
    the respective web sites but neither of them mentioned anything about
    video in capabilities although the X1600 Pro refers to AVIVO (I thought
    the VIVO bit meant video-in video-out). None of the included cables
    with either card appears to offer video in functionality so i'm just
    going to assume they don't. It wasn't that important anyway, would
    have been a nice bonus though.

    Have decided to go for the Sapphire X1600 Pro, lets see how that
    compares in my system to the 9500 Pro which has done a stellar job over
    the last few years.

    Chris, May 16, 2006
  8. Chris

    DDC Guest

    it should have some cable and stuff included.
    Once i bought a vivo card and all the componenent where with the
    bundle.

    it was a build by ati. a x700pro vivo

    ex: yours is:
    12 pixel pipeline architecture
    TruForm 2.0
    Smoothvision HD + Adaptive AA
    Avivo™ Technology <----

    Hyper Z HD, Video Shader HD
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/ca/products/products_overview.php?gpid=133

    the bundle:
    http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x1600pro/3.shtml

    DDC, May 16, 2006
  9. Chris

    tod Guest

    Both cards have 12 pipelines
    The X800 GTO will get you more frames per second, 256 bit memory access, the
    X1600 only 128 bit.
    I believe is also possible to unlock the GTO from 12 pipelines to 16
    pipelines?
    The X1600PRO has two newer features over the X800
    Better encoding/decoding of video and the new SM 3.0 (Shader Model), the
    X800 is Shader model 2.0
    So the X1600 will get better as more games support SM 3.0
    And the X1600 is a bit cheaper.
    I would say just get the X1600.
    As SM 3.0 get more popular, the X1600 will still have a decent resale value.

    tod, May 16, 2006
  10. Chris

    DDC Guest

    Well the x1600pro is more future proof also that is has vivo for video
    recording. But if your looking to soft mod the video card to unlock
    the extra 4 pipes your should look for the x800gto2 witch from what
    i"ve read come unlocked already i think and give better performance
    for it's technologies.

    But there an other choice. There is a sapphire x1800gto pci-e that
    have allot to give and it is unlockable to a x1800xl it is vivo
    capable and cost around the same as a 7600gt. Actually i'm getting one
    soon. Maybe there is an agp version somewhere for you. If not then the
    x1600pro or xt should do the trick.

    PS: hl2 run great on a x800 128mb pci-e. that's what i got for the
    moment.

    my first choice was a x1600xt bravo (vivo) from power color as it is
    the most powerful version of the xt series, it a pci-e version but
    again maybe there one for agp slot.

    if i recall well the x1600xt score around 5300 or more in 3dmark05 and
    my x1800gto at default setting score around 6500point in 3dmark05...
    The card is made by sapphire, power color and HIS... so there a lot of
    brand to choice for and maybe one with agp capabilities.

    It my better choice from what i can afford.

    I should give you some info on how it perform by Friday this week.
    If your changing your mind.

    a+

    DDC, May 16, 2006
  11. Chris

    Travis King Guest

    I have a Radeon x1600 PRO. It works fine. If you run Windows and
    eventually plan on running the next version, Windows Vista, this card will
    be excellent for it. My video card is manufactured by Sapphire. Make sure
    you have a minimum of a 350-watt PSU with a 4-pin molex connector. Doom3
    isn't the greatest, but Doom3 is designed more for NVIDIA cards anyway. (It
    still runs considerably better than my FX5600 did, though.)
    It's running on:
    Asus K8N motherboard AGP 8x (I used to have an Asus A7V333)
    AMD Sempron 2800+ OC'd to 2GHz (I used to have an Athlon XP 2400+, which I
    had OC'd to 2.17GHz using a 150 FSB instead of 133 on stock voltage. That
    CPU does well at overclocking.)
    Ati Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR2 AGP 8x. (By Sapphire)
    Two IDE hard drives
    768MB of RAM
    400-watt PSU (soon to be replaced my a Thermaltake 430-watt PSU as my
    current PSU keeps killing my hard drives)

    Travis King, May 17, 2006
  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks for all your posts and advice, I've order the X1600 Pro and
    should get it today or tomorrow. Bought it for £91 including delivery
    from Dabs.com so thats pretty decent value and I'm sure it will give my
    PC a bit of a boost over what it can do now and will keep me going
    until I buy a new PC next year sometime.

    Thanks everyone.

    Chris, May 17, 2006
  13. Chris

    SP Goodman Guest

    I've got a Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO FireBlade PCI-E, 256MB. Been pleased so
    far but how would I know whether the full-pipeline use is enabled or not?

    Thx.

    --
    Stephen Goodman
    *

    SP Goodman, May 19, 2006
  14. Chris

    SP Goodman Guest

    I have Everest Home, and it shows "PCI Express x16: ATI Radeon X850 Pro
    (R480)"; also it shows 12 pixel pipelines.

    Ah, ATITools - Used to use it with the Omega drivers, on my 9550. It came
    along with the Omega drivers. Or are you referring to the stand-alone
    version? The Sapphire came with an app called TRIXX that seems to offer the
    same overclocking functionality as ATITools... So how to get at those
    pipelines?
    You mean like softmod? Thanks.

    --
    Stephen Goodman
    *

    SP Goodman, May 19, 2006
  15. Chris

    DDC Guest

    In the program called everest corporat there is a section called
    display click on that and select gpu... it there

    Or download the pdf here it not a fire blade but it about the same
    thing
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/ca/productfiles/119brochure.pdf
    see also http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/details.php?id=135

    the gpu number is important too because some are down graded gpu witch
    "are" locked. Ie x800 xl are 16 pipes and if the gpu code number of
    this card fit your video card gpu like r480 or r423 then you COULD try
    to fit the bios of the card you want into yours to get the extra
    4pipes that are locked by purpuse.

    So to get it straith if your gpu is r480 then it match the criteria of
    the x850 xtbut you mush make shure that your new card fit in your card
    like agp with agp bios... the amount of memory too. and the speed for
    your gpu and memory but this can be adjusted before gaming with
    atitools.
    But the best thing is to mod the bios to the correct mhz before
    flashing your card that way you wont forget after formating the hdd to
    set back your videocard mem/gpu speed.

    DDC, May 20, 2006