    high res avive 1024by768 with high AA and AF.

    So any comments.

    Thanks.

    Avid Gamer, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Avid Gamer

    Glzmo Guest

    It all depends on which games you are playing. Both are pretty fast cards,
    some people like Radeon X800 cards better, some 6800 cards. Google for some
    reviews with benchmarks to see how each card runs the games intend to play.

    Glzmo, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Avid Gamer

    Avid Gamer Guest

    I have googled and i have read, just confuses me more :(

    I would like a fast card thats quiet and uses not alot of power :),
    X800 would fit that bill when i put a Zalman heatsink on it.

    Oh well ill ask in a few more groups.

    Thanks.

    Avid Gamer, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Avid Gamer

    CapFusion Guest

    Then you have answer your own question as X800 card from ATi is better fit.

    CapFusion,..

    CapFusion, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Avid Gamer

    Avid Gamer Guest

    So the X800 aint that slower either than a GT ?

    Avid Gamer, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Avid Gamer

    CapFusion Guest

    CapFusion, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Avid Gamer

    @ndrew Guest

    As Cap has said depends on the game ... if you play Q3 then the 6800 Gt
    or Ultra are for you .. if you play Far Cry then the X800 may nudge it
    out.

    If you want a card which can be used with Pixel Shader 3.0 when it is
    implemented then go with the Nvidia cards.

    I have both .. actually prefer the graphics on the Nvidia card a bit
    more.

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Avid Gamer

    Scotter Guest

    I don't think you will be able to tell a difference between these two cards
    at 1024x768.
    And if you have a slow CPU then the CPU will be the limiting factor.
    And if they perform pretty much the same then yeah it is time to look at
    things like:
    (a) which is more quiet? (dunno)
    (b) which consumes more power? (nVidia)
    (c) which creates more heat? (?)
    (d) price (neck & neck?)
    and the most important to me...
    (e) which has the newer technology that will last longer into the future
    with the next generation of games starting to come out now? (nVidia)

    Scotter, Oct 1, 2004
  9. Avid Gamer

    John Lewis Guest

    NO. Not for the comparison that you cite. The 6800GT is a full
    16-pipe implementation vs Ati's 12-pipe. Plus the future benefits of
    more extensive DX9.0c compliance. Plus the neat video processor for
    those of us interested in high-end/HDTV desktop video applications.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Avid Gamer

    Avid Gamer Guest

    Well the x800 pro is 100 bucks cheaper in my country, and the reviews
    say even if it has 4 pipes less than a 6800 GT the X800 is still
    better value.

    And the GT aint that much faster realy and Pixel shader 3 ? how many
    games are using 2.0 now not many, so buying the game for 3.0 is
    stupid, as by the time any one programs for 3.0 it will be upto 4.0 :)

    Oh well x800 here i come.

    Avid Gamer, Oct 1, 2004
  11. Avid Gamer

    CapFusion Guest

    X800 should be fine for any current game and the next coming along. You main
    concern is not the score but the smooth and enjoyable play result.

    CapFusion,....

    CapFusion, Oct 1, 2004
  12. Avid Gamer

    Avid Gamer Guest

    Yeah, if i can get a smooth constant FPS of just below 90 FPS in games
    with high AA and AF iam happy,

    Just becuase the GT is the fastest does not mean its the best, though
    if i can get a GT for the same or less than a x800 pro i will go the
    GT :)

    Bye.

    Avid Gamer, Oct 2, 2004
  13. Avid Gamer

    John Lewis Guest

    Why bother posting if you had already made up your mind ? Which is
    pretty obvious from your comments in this thread. I notice that you
    only posted to the nVidia news-group. You don't currently have
    an Ati card, by any chance ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 2, 2004
  14. Avid Gamer

    Chip Guest

    Actually, (b) and (c) are the same question. Effectively all Power input =
    Heat. The only power that doesn't end up as heat is the tiny fraction that
    escapes out of the case as sound. Sound *inside* the case is converted to
    heat anyway. And - incidentally - even the sound escaping the case still
    ends up as heat: it warms your room a tiny tiny tiny bit.

    Chip.

    Chip, Oct 2, 2004
  15. Avid Gamer

    Avid Gamer Guest

    9600 PRO I HAVE AND BEFORE THAT A GEFORCE 3 TI 200 :)

    Avid Gamer, Oct 2, 2004